• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 Serial Number Invalid/ Expired

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased Adobe Creative Suite 4 Design Premium for Mac OS (disc installation version) back in 2009 and have had it installed on the same MacBook Pro for the last 8 years.  I just purchased a new MacBook Air and would like to at least install Acrobat 9 on my new computer internal HD, and preferably install the entire CS 4 on an external HD (b/c there is not enough storage space on my MacBook Air internal HD). 

However, when I try to install them, I get the following message:  "The serial number you entered is not valid.  Click on OK to retry entering the serial number."  The serial number I am entering is correct. 

Why doesn't my serial number work anymore?  How can I install the programs onto my new computer/ external HD?

I called Adobe Customer Support and they were extremely unhelpful.  The only thing they said was that my serial number expired.  They said they cannot help me on the phone, that I would have to get assistance through the forum online...  So here I am.  How is it possible that my serial number expired for the CS4 products I PURCHASED in full (not a subscription)?

Please help!

Thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

First I would recommend that you only install the Adobe applications on your primary drive.  If disk space is a concern then please make sure to store any documents, videos, or music files on the external drive.  This will prevent you from being in a situation where you have to have your external drive connected just to use a program.

Secondly you do have an educational license for Creative Suite 4.  Did you try installing from the CDs provided with your purchase?

If so then it is possible the lic

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several things

CS6 and earlier programs have not been tested and will not be updated for Mac El Capitan/Sierra

-which means that you try to use CS6 and earlier at YOUR risk of having problems due to Apple updates

-Apple did not maintain backward compatibility with old programs in El Capitan or Sierra

--Adobe has a workaround to Apple's problem of not maintaining backward compatibility

--help links and an Adobe solution to installing old programs are here https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2301916

Invalid Serial Number https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2359923

-upgrade qualifying product https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-serial-number-qualifying-product.html

Also, if that external is a removable drive, Adobe installers will not work... it must be a permanent drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John.

But I still want to find out from Adobe, why my serial number is expired.  I can still use the CS4 on my MacBook Pro running on the updated Mac El Capitan. 

I don't see why I would have to purchase or subscribe to new Adobe products when the CS4 that I already purchased meets my needs.  I just want to put it on my new computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

assuming you're using a valid adobe serial number (6 groups of 4 numbers), you have a mismatch between your installation file and serial number.  ie, you can have a valid serial number, but if it's for program A and your installation file is for program B, you will see an invalid serial number message.

common mismatches are language/region (eg, serial number is for western europe and installation file is eastern europe), platform (eg, serial number is for a mac and installation file is win), license type (eg, education vs enterprise vs individual).

and one of the most common is using a program installation file with a suite's serial number. eg, using a cs6 suite serial number with a photoshop cs6 installation file.  that won't work even though photoshop is included in that suite.  you must use the suite's installation file (and you can choose to only install one program from the suite).

here's official info about that error,  http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-serial-number-valid-product.html

once you get past the serial number issue, check message 1 because you may encounter another issue that's answered in the sierra link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RanRan Bobandy to add to John's response I reviewed your serial number for the Education version of Creative Suite 4 Design Premium for Mac OS, and it is still valid and has activations remaining.  You indicated you spoke with a member of our support team do you have a case number from your interaction that I can reference RanRan Bobandy?

Can you please provide additional details RanRan Bobandy did you attempt to restore or migrate any files to this MacBook Air?  How much space do you have available on the primary drive?  What version of Mac OS are you attempting to install Creative Suite 4 Design Premium on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I do not have a case number...  they did not give me one and would not help me in any way (I even spoke with a supervisor).

I have not tried to restore or migrate any files to the MacBook Air...  Not sure what that means.

I only have 85 GB of space available on the internal MacBook Air drive.  I was hoping to do 2 things:

1.  Install the Adobe Acrobat Pro on my internal MacBook Air drive

2.  Install the rest of the CS4 software on an external HD (1TB) that I am using for all of my larger files and software.

Are either or both of these things possible?

My MacBook Air is running on Mac OS Sierra Version 10.12.6

What would you suggest I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I would recommend that you only install the Adobe applications on your primary drive.  If disk space is a concern then please make sure to store any documents, videos, or music files on the external drive.  This will prevent you from being in a situation where you have to have your external drive connected just to use a program.

Secondly you do have an educational license for Creative Suite 4.  Did you try installing from the CDs provided with your purchase?

If so then it is possible the licensing files were damaged when you moved to the MacBook Air.  To attempt to recover, and allow the serial number to be accepted, please complete the following steps RanRan Bobandy.

1. Remove any installed Adobe applications using the uninstallers located in the Applications/Utilities folder
  2. Download and run the CC Cleaner Tool to remove any remaining licensing files - Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems
  3. Reinstall Creative Suite 4 from your installation CD.

Educational serial numbers were also tied to special installation files when Creative Suite 4 was released.  If you attempt to use the retail installation files, available at Download Adobe Creative Suite 4 (CS4) products​, then it is likely that you would receive the error message that the serial number is invalid.  This is why you will need to use the installation files provided with your purchase.

If you encounter any additional errors then please update this discussion RanRan Bobandy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the entire CS4 on my MacBook Air internal HD.  However, the Adobe Acrobat Pro is not working.  I keep getting a message that says

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 10.24.48 AM.png

When I click "continue", the program just freezes and does not respond.  If I click "cancel", nothing happens and I still can't use it.  I have had similar notices on other CS 4 programs like AI and Photoshop, but they at least will open.

I really wish I could just talk to a real person at Adobe to have them help me.  I have been emailing the help desk and they are not responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update RanRan Bobandy.  I would recommend you post regarding the errors you are facing in Acrobat 9 to the Installing, Updating, & Subscribing to Acrobat forum at Installing, Updating, & Subscribing to Acrobat .  The community in that forum will be more familiar with issues you may face when attempting to utilize Acrobat 9 on modern versions of Mac OS.

If you are also facing launch issues in other applications RanRan Bobandy then please post to the respected forum for that software title.  There will be a number of issues that you will face with utilizing Creative Suite 4 and Acrobat 9 under modern operating systems.  The communities in the respective forums will be aware of any workarounds that may allow you to utilize the applications.  A complete list of available forums can be found at https://forums.adobe.com/welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

if you're using an incompatible os (eg, sierra), that's expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines