• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graphing Line

Contributor ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using ActionScript (Flash CS6) or JavaScript (Animate) need to graph a line for an eLearning lesson's survey scores. Kglad suggested a similar script for a different graph for a question that I asked: normal distribution graph to show data . The new graph is different : inverse proportion line with equation: y = -8.44x-31.12 .

The graph line larger sample results can be placed using an image. (here's the article with original graph-Figure 1- and data: https://scholar.google.com/scholar_url?url=https://brage.bibsys.no/xmlui/bitstream/handle/11250/2773... )

The challenge is placing a new survey score on that line if you only have X.

The Kglad script example was for a normal distribution, and only the X score indicator was moved on the X axis (Y in this example was a constant on the Y axis). This graph needs to move both X and Y and you only have X position and equation for the line (see above).

Would appreciate any help with AS script (and JS script if later using Animate) for this different line and graph. I have tried to adapt Kglad's script but with no success.

Thank you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not sure what you're looking for because graphing a line is pretty simple expecially if you're not animating the graph.

here are some animated graphing snippets:  http://www.kglad.com > snippets > function graphs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kglad,

Thank you for writing  and these snippets. I checked them but I don't think any of the snippets would apply to this inverse linear plotting.

I am trying to use a different graph than normal distribution and place scores on it. The score has an X value, so needs to be translated into an X position, moved there. There is no Y for the score unless it can be calculated from the X based on the line's equation (y=some factor*x + a constant--derived from the original articles Figure 1 graph.) The article's actual graph has 4 ranges and there are 3 linear splines. So I've broken it up into 3 splines, an equation for each. First spline equation (from Excel trend line) is y = -8.44x-31.12.

graph1.jpg

spline 1 (there are 3 splines, each with a different slope and equation)

first known intersect (from article, graph in-Figure 1): X=14.24, Y=2

second known intersect (from article, graph in-Figure 1): X=5.80, Y=3

So, if there is a new score of 2.75 (X), how to script getting Y, and moving a score indicator/marker to the correct X,Y location on this line.

Moving a score to X position is the same as in your original Normal Distribution example. But I need to then (1) derive Y using the equation and (2) also move it to the score's Y position. I can't figure out how to script # 2, since the Y Axis is up-down instead of side to side like for X. My scripting is a little limited with converting/adding this to the X script.

Also if possible, since may use CS6 or Animate CC, would like to translate the AS version including both X and Y to JavaScript for later use.

Hope that this is a better explanation of what I am trying to achieve in this new eLearning lesson and graph display.

Thank you for your kind help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's more work than i would do for free.  maybe someone else will help or, if you want to hire me to do that, send an email via http://www.kglad.com > contact

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  understand. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines