• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

We want to create our own navigation buttons with images (custom play button, custom pause button, etc)

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We want to create our own navigation buttons with images (custom play button, custom pause button, etc). We created those in Master Slide view. Since they cannot be used as button, we had to add a click box on top of those, and therefore make the fluid boxes static. Is that the right way to achieve our objective? We also have an issue with the play/pause button, since the states are not available in the Master view. Should we create those buttons in the Slide view rather than Master Slide?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

That is the 'old' way, before CP6. Use shape buttons. They can be filled with the image, they can be used on masterslides or timed for the rest of the project. It would help if you mentioned the version you use. Is it a very old version?

Here are some links to articles (some pretty old) I wrote about Shape buttons:

Why I like Shape Buttons - Captivate 6! - Captivate blog

Toggle Shape buttons - Captivate 6 - Captivate blog

Turn an Image into a Button - Captivate blog

1 action = 5 Toggle Buttons - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the 'old' way, before CP6. Use shape buttons. They can be filled with the image, they can be used on masterslides or timed for the rest of the project. It would help if you mentioned the version you use. Is it a very old version?

Here are some links to articles (some pretty old) I wrote about Shape buttons:

Why I like Shape Buttons - Captivate 6! - Captivate blog

Toggle Shape buttons - Captivate 6 - Captivate blog

Turn an Image into a Button - Captivate blog

1 action = 5 Toggle Buttons - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help! We are using the last version of Captivate but we are in a learning process. 

Maybe you can help me with this too: we work on a responsive project (fluid boxes). We want to have a play/pause button. It should be the same button, and the state should change between pause / play.

Solution 1: we do it in Master slide. However, in this case we don't have states so we don't know how to change the button from play to pause and vice verse.

Solution 2 : we do it in Slide view. However, once we select "show for rest of the project", the button gets unlocked from the fluid box.

How can we make this work?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is one of the limitations of fluid boxes, indeed. The hype marketing tutorials never talk aboutl limitations. Did you try to make that fluid box static? Full control in responsive design is only possible if you use the alternative work flow with Breakpoint views, but it means a lot more work. I talked about that in another blog post:

Captivate 2017's gems - Captivate blog

Moreover, in case you missed it: you cannot add click boxes to a normal fluid box at all, because they are 2D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest using transparent text buttons (with no text) or image buttons instead of going through the trouble of using master slides and click boxes. Once you get the look and spacing right for your custom buttons on one slide, all you need to do is copy and paste to your other slides and the look and spacing gets duplicated. One drawback is you have to do individual advanced actions for each button on each slide, but you could create a shared action template to speed up that workflow. Another reason I do not like click boxes is because they cannot be added to Captivate's tab order and therefore are not keyboard accessible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@mferguson You seem to have missed the core of this thread which is already correctly answered. Shape buttons are the way to go certainly when using Fluid boxes because they are 2D.  For a responolsive project, having a multitude of objects and advanced or even shared actions will increase the file size considerably as well Click boxes are even totally forbidden in fluid boxes. Please, it is fie to answer questions, but try to read what has already been answered. That is the purpose of public forums, other users can learn from them provided you read what has been posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources