7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2017 10:34 AM by rob day

Bypassing zoom limits

arjun2 Level 1

I am making a banner of size 100 inches by 180 inches. I want to zoom below 5 percent so that I am able to see the page in full height. But InDesign won't let me do so. What can I do to bypass this limit without resizing my document to a smaller size (in order to see full height) and increasing the size later?

• 1. Re: Bypassing zoom limits
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Are you working on a 640 x 480 pixel screen? Or do you have your main InDesign window set very small?

To see an entire 100' x 180' page, I don't have to scale any less than 10% (if it's portrait) or 17% (if it's landscape). But that's on a 2560 x 1440 pixel screen, and with the InDesign window scaled to the full screen.

• 2. Re: Bypassing zoom limits
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What can I do to bypass this limit without resizing my document to a smaller size (in order to see full height) and increasing the size later?

Have you tried Screen Mode>Presentation?

• 3. Re: Bypassing zoom limits
              arjun2 Level 1

https://forums.adobe.com/people/rob+day  wrote

What can I do to bypass this limit without resizing my document to a smaller size (in order to see full height) and increasing the size later?

Have you tried Screen Mode>Presentation?

Oh!! Thanks a lot!! I have used this mode a lot in the past and could not think of it as a solution.

• 4. Re: Bypassing zoom limits
                arjun2 Level 1

https://forums.adobe.com/people/%5BJongware%5D  wrote

Are you working on a 640 x 480 pixel screen? Or do you have your main InDesign window set very small?

To see an entire 100' x 180' page, I don't have to scale any less than 10% (if it's portrait) or 17% (if it's landscape). But that's on a 2560 x 1440 pixel screen, and with the InDesign window scaled to the full screen.

I am working on 1280x720 pixel screen.

• 5. Re: Bypassing zoom limits

I am working on 1280x720 pixel screen.

Starting with CS6 the zoom level is based on the print output dimension and not the monitor resolution. InDesign goes to your system and gets the monitor info to set the 100% view so that the 1" displayed on your rulers will physically measure 1". Prior to CS6 the 100% view was 1:1 ratio of your monitor to image pixels—same as Photoshop—and on most displays the 100% zoom view was smaller than the actual output size.

So at 180" you would need 9" of physical monitor space to display the full page at 5% (180 x .05).

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Bypassing zoom limits
                    Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Rob,

I tested this on my old 15,4-Inch (1440 x 900) MacBook Pro with a 100" x 180" page.

I was able to bypass the 5 % zoom limit by using cmd + 0 to show the whole page in "Normal View".

InDesign CS6 8.1.0 on OS X 10.11.6.

ZoomLevel-3.2%.png

Regards,
                    Uwe

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Bypassing zoom limits

Yes I see the same thing in CC2014. I can never get to less than 3.3% using Command-0, and I can't manually select a 3.3% zoom via the GUI or scripting.