• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why do i get error code 4 when opening a saved document?

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

During my free trial period i had a document that i've amended and saved several times.  the free period has ceased and i tried to open the document and an window appears stating the file is damaged (error code 4).  this happens with every document that i open.  i've paid today to have indesign for the year and the documents still will not open and still gives the error code 4 window.   Help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Hi,

Most likely your files have gone corrupted.

You can try the following 2 options:

1. Try rebooting your system and then opening the files.

2. Try rebooting the system and then opening the file as a copy.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Most likely your files have gone corrupted.

You can try the following 2 options:

1. Try rebooting your system and then opening the files.

2. Try rebooting the system and then opening the file as a copy.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, you're a godsend for giving a solution so quickly.  Saved my bacon today.  I needed to edit a poster i had for our local one act festival that had to be printed today, so the solution came just in time.

Cheers

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same problem. I've just upgraded to Adobe InDesign CC 2018 and now ALL my files located on my MacBook Pro are coming up with the Error 4. There was nothing boring with them yesterday while I was still running the 2017 version. What's the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing wrong with your files. This seems to be a bug in InDesign 2017 AND NOW 2018! It happens to me all the time. I close a file that I've been working on, open another, try to open the one I've just closed, and guess what? "File is damaged: error code 4" I would be worried about this if it didn't happen all the time! Just restart InDesign, and all your files will magically re-open again. Please fix this bug Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem in our agency. Working with InDesign is very difficult. I've deinstalled InDesign three times this week. After deinstalling and installing again everything works fine. But how long? One day?! Please fix this bug! We pay you a lot of money and it seems to me, that the Cloud Version causes a lot of problems since the launch. We have massive problems with dreamweaver, too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amaarora​ It happened again. Only solution seem to be deinstalling and installing InDesign again. Please fix it, we can't work with this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amaaron

Please fix this! Now I had the first time that saving my changes isn't possible any more, because InDesign said the file is broken... So do I have to save every minute because your upgraded program hast this dirty bug?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue. I find closing InDesign completely and relaunching has resolved the problem for me. However, this error code happens every time I try to open any InDesign file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem just now too - a nice way to start the week! Removed and reinstalled the app, and now I can access the file. I'm going back to 2017 until Adobe releases a bug fix. I never had this happen with CC 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GarethLind​ may I ask you what System you use? Windows or Macintosh? Laptop or computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a MacPro (late 2013) using 10.13.1. It's only happened once, and I was able to open the file by reinstalling InDesign. I kept the last version of ID and am using that for larger, more complex documents until Adobe issues a bug fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aug 8 2018

Still receiving error code 4 message upon opening one indd file. I removed and re-installed ID; I closed and restarted ID prior...no benefit. Initially file would not load stating database error...then after the reinstallation of ID, it began with the error code 4 msg. I was unable to read the file with INCopy...is there a way to pull out the text from within the file by other means? Is there a way to see the image names used so far in the creation of this 200 page document?

What do I do? Thanks for any Help....ajz@zelada.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines