• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects crashes while rendering a preview (focus related?)

Enthusiast ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects (CS5.5) crashes while rending a RAM preview (the composition is a 30 second, 24 fps flag waving using the card dance effect and only 800x400 pixels. 5 compositions in the project).

It renders fine when After Effects is always the tab in focus in Windows 10, but it seems that the crashes occur at some point when you switch to other Windows tabs and then back to After Effects.

An example of the crash message is below:

After-Effects-crashin-progress.jpg

Below is another example of a crash with the same project, when switching back to the After Effects windows tab from another windows tab (causing I think After Effects to no longer be minimized).

crash-in-progress.jpg

So the error seems to be related to switching to other Windows tabs and then back to the "After Effects" Windows tab (so it then becomes the focus again), since just rendering the RAM preview with this project with After Effects being the the in-focus tab throughout (ie. no switching to other tabs) renders the RAM preview successfully and doesn't crash.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect an application - operating mismatch is the culprit.  AE CS 5.5 is damn near ten years old!  That's forever in software terms, and you're trying to run it on an OS that came out months ago.  Who know what kind of weird things will happen, or when they'll rear their ugly heads?

The fix: partition your system drive, then install Win7 and AE on the new partition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I was installing it on Windows 10 the Adobe support people knew and helped me install it on that operating system. If it was incompatible with Win 10 surely they would have told me not to even install it because of the incompatibilities.

Most of the time I don't have issues with it. And like I said it renders fine with that project if it is kept in-focus all the time (without switching to other Windows tabs). I don't want to have to install Windows 7 on the machine as that is outdated etc. If there is a bug in this version of AE I'd like it to be fixed if possible. Most of the time After Effects works fine - or has seemed to be (though I did get a Windows message concerning "Memory Management" some time ago (probably a couple of weeks ago) after closing After Effects - I don't know whether that is also a bug in After Effects or not - or maybe something related to the Windows pagefile (I currently have it set to system managed pagefile on my C drive (SSD) and none on my other hard drives - I don't know if that should be changed?). Note in another thread an Adobe Community Professional says "I have a classroom has 12 computers "offline" has windows 10 64x with Adobe CS5 Master Collection installed and working perfectly".

So if possible I'd like the bug (if it is a bug in After Effects) to be fixed.

Or if it's something I've got set up incorrectly (in After Effects or Windows 10 that is causing the issue with AE) I'd appreciate some help to get that fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave is right. your OS is not supported for any version under 2015.3.

After Effects System Requirements

trying to force an installation on an unsupported OS is unpredictable. by definition it is not a bug since it's clear there is not support for it. it might work, might not. only a hardcore developer knows exactly why it's not supported for your OS. the person that helped you install this version on your OS wasn't doing you any favors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is "not supported" why did an Adobe Support person/representative help me to install it on Windows 10? Or do you mean the support people will help people with it but the developers will refuse to fix bugs in it?

Also why does Adobe Community Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are so many ways to use AE that that guy probably hasn't encountered your particular situation, but everything else he had tried worked just fine.

You sound like one of the people who refuse to give up on Final Cut Pro 7 -- Apple support for it ended almost 7 years ago --  and then can't figure out why the application doesn;t run smoothly on Apple's newest OS's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well apart from the fact that I've never had anything by Apple maybe. I'm hanging on to this version for now because

1) I paid a lot of money for it

2) It's bought, not rented. The newest version would stop working as soon as you stopped paying the monthly/annual fees.

Also, it does most of what I/others need done (well apart from this crashing occasionally with switching to other tabs then back again on RAM preview etc.) There are various new features in the new version that I'd like (as well as for the stability if it doesn't have this or similar issues eg. with memory). But people on this forum have also been saying how various features have been removed. I'd get (rent) the latest version if I could justify the cost. If I could consistently earn enough from using the program each month to justify the cost of renting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read the thread you mention when you first mentioned it. As you can see for yourself there is disagreement with other vetran users in the thread. And BTW, if I recall, Dave actually still holds on to his paid unsubscribed fully functional CS6 version, but I assume he installs it on a supported OS as he suggested for you to do the same. You should do the same and save yourself the grief of jumping through all sorts of hoops to make it work. This way you can focus on creating stuff and not making the software work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Roei+Tzoref  wrote

...if I recall, Dave actually still holds on to his paid unsubscribed fully functional CS6 version, but I assume he installs it on a supported OS as he suggested for you to do the same.

Close -- on one of my home machines I run CS 5.5 on Win7.  Works just fine for me there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run CS 5.5 on Win7.  Works just fine for me there!

Perfect. closer to Op than I thought!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A.I.1  wrote

If it is "not supported" why did an Adobe Support person/representative help me to install it on Windows 10?

The support representative was taking a chance that it would work OK for you.  It does work OK for some people under some circumstances.

Or do you mean the support people will help people with it but the developers will refuse to fix bugs in it?

Incompatibility with future operating systems is not a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incompatibility with future operating systems is not a bug.

It's no longer a future operating system, it's a current one. Plus it could also have been a bug present with the earlier operating system if it happened to be bug in the program anyway which was only revealed with a new system and operating system.

It does work OK for some people under some circumstances.

Are they able to switch back and forth consistently from this version of AE (to other Windows 10 tabs) while it is rendering a RAM preview?

Is there definitely no setting I can change anywhere that could prevent the above described issue(s)?

Could it be possible that changing something in the preferences could prevent this (eg. memory/disc cache settings etc.) - could increasing the amount of RAM available other apps have any benefit (it's currently set to 10 GB free for other apps)?

I just had an idea:

Could I just change the icon for AE in Windows 10 to "run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7"? Would that solve everything? Or would it negatively affect effect anything else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A.I.1  wrote

I just had an idea:

Could I just change the icon for AE in Windows 10 to "run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7"? Would that solve everything? Or would it negatively affect effect anything else?

It's worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I tested AE CS5.5 in the "test compatibility settings" option of Win 10. I discovered the disadvantage - it was much slower at rendering each frame of the RAM preview (I'm guessing at least 4x as slow on that particular project). I tested switching from and to the program with the project that failed the test before - it did seem more resistant to crashes but did fail after a number of tries with the "Crash in progress...Dynamic Link..." message. The automatic Windows compatibility for Windows 7 in Win 10 didn't properly work (there's an option to say the reasons why and to do run compatibility mode manually - I tried that (manual option) too and it seems just as slow as the automatic one eg. at least 4x as slow I guess).

So it might be better, if I use this version of the program on Win 10 (ie. before I rent the latest) to run it not in compatibility mode as even though compatibility mode seemed to be more resistant to crashes when switching from and to it, it still crashes after a while and compatibility mode was so much slower at rendering the RAM preview. I think it's best not to run compatibility mode (for speed) but save often and try not to switch between it while rendering a RAM preview. That won't solve the issue I had a while ago with the Windows "memory management error" type message while closing the program but that was a rare thing, and it should much reduce the chance of crashes etc due to this problem. Thanks everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi A.I.1,

Sorry for this issue. Did you ever find a solution? Please let us know if you have or if you still need help.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello. I never found a fix for the crashing issue AE CS5.5 when switching Windows tabs while previewing, and was told Adobe wouldn't fit it. I'd still like it fixed if possible.

I've also since got (rented) the new AE but that has also crashed but for other reasons, and while I like it, there are other issues (eg. effects I used before removed, rendering taking a lot more hassle (could easily render with H264 from within AE before now it takes more work and needs doing with AME, and "duplicate with filename" etc. is a bit unusable since it doesn't (when I tried it) take the updated version of the project from AE.

So if possible, I'd like the original issue fixing so I can use the program when I need to without it crashing with that issue. I could create other threads for the crashes/issues with the new AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines