5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2017 9:08 AM by aFatFish

Indesign A5 Booklet Printing Issue - The booklet doesn't fit the current paper size.

aFatFish Level 1

Hi everyone,

Using InDesign CC.

I'm trying to print a booklet on to A4 paper. I'd like each page to be A5 size (A4 folded in half, landscape). Pages facing each other and double sided (my printer can do duplex printing).

However, when i go to print booklet, the preview is all wrong - please see second screen grab below. If i export to PDF then try printing I get one page per entire A4 paper, not a booklet at all! How do i correct this? I've tried searching to solve my own issue, and either the solutions are back from CS2 era or simply don't work for me! :-(

Thanks!

Tommy

Detailed Explanation:

Document set up: Intent set to "print". Number of pages: 20. "Facing Pages" checkbox is ticked. Page size: A5. Orientation set to landscape. 0mm bleed and slug.

doc set up.png

When I go file --> print booklet, i get the following error:

preview.png

These are my print settings ("Print Settings" button in above image):

print settings.png

What on earth is going on? How can Indesign be this stupidly hard to use?

Here's my Summary log info (from bottom option in the left hand menu from the above photo):

Print Preset: [Custom]

Printer: EPSON76B788 (ET-4550 Series)

PPD: N/A

PPD File: N/A

Print Booklet

Booklet Type: 2-up Saddle Stitch

Auto Adjust Margins: On

Top Margin: 0 mm

Bottom Margin: 0 mm

Left Margin: 0 mm

Right Margin: 0 mm

Space Between Pages: N/A

Creep: 0 mm

Bleed Between Pages: N/A

Signature Size: N/A

Print Blank Printer Spreads: On

General

Copies: 1

Collate: Off

Reverse Order: Off

Pages: All

Sequence: All Pages

Spreads: Off

Print Master Pages: Off

Print Layers: Visible & Printable Layers

Print Non-printing Objects: Off

Print Blank Pages: Off

Print Visible Guides and Baseline Grids: Off

Setup

Paper Size: A4 210 x 297 mm

Paper Width: 210 mm

Paper Height: 297 mm

Page Orientation: Landscape

Paper Offset: 0 mm

Paper Gap: 0 mm

Transverse: Off

Scaling: 100%

Constrain Proportions: On

Page Position: Upper Left

Thumbnails: Off

Tiling: Off

Marks and Bleed

Crop Marks: Off

Bleed Marks: Off

Registration Marks: Off

Colour Bars: Off

Page Information: Off

Printer Mark Type: Default

Crop Mark Weight: 0.25 pt

Mark Offset from Page: 2.117 mm

Use Document Bleed Settings: On

Bleed Top: 0 mm

Bleed Bottom: 0 mm

Bleed Inside: 0 mm

Bleed Outside: 0 mm

Include Slug Area: Off

Output

Colour: Composite RGB

Text As Black: Off

Trapping: Off

Flip: None

Negative: Off

Screening: Default

Simulate Overprint: Off

Frequency: 70

Angle: 45

Graphics

Send Data: Optimised Subsampling

Download: Subset

Download PPD Fonts: On

PostScript®: Level 2

Data Format: Binary

Colour Management

Document Profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Colour Handling: Let InDesign Determine Colours

Printer Profile: Document RGB - sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Preserve RGB Numbers: Off

Proof Profile: Document CMYK

Simulate Paper Colour: On

Advanced

Print &as Bitmap: Off

Bitmap Resolution: 300

OPI Image Replacement: Off

EPS: Off

PDF: Off

Bitmap Images: Off

Transparency Flattener Preset: [Medium Resolution]

Ignore Spread Overrides: Off

• 1. Re: Indesign A5 Booklet Printing Issue - The booklet doesn't fit the current paper size.
          Bill Silbert Adobe Community Professional

A job like this would not need to be printed using the booklet feature. It can be printed using InDesign's regular Print dialog box.

See screen shot below:

PRINT.png

In the general tab make sure that spreads is chosen (first picture above). In the setup tab (second picture) choose the A4 paper size and orient it landscape. Also choose center alignment. The Duplex settings will depend on your Printer but should be able to be accessed through the Printer button on the bottom of the dialog box. Once into your Printers dialog there should be a Printers Features option which should in turn provide the Duplex option. When you’ve chosen all of the options then you should be able to send it to print.

Please note that with Duplex printing you will have to make sure that you’ve set the job up in printer spreads including having the front and back cover on a spread together in order for all of the pages to come out correctly.

All of this being said I must warn you that jobs are not usually printed out to size like this. Printers are not able to print right to the edge and so unless everything has a comfortable margin from the edges content may be lost. The usual process is to print a job on paper larger than the trim size using crop marks and bleed and then having the job cut to size.

• 2. Re: Indesign A5 Booklet Printing Issue - The booklet doesn't fit the current paper size.
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What on earth is going on? How can Indesign be this stupidly hard to use?

When you impose a booklet you obviously have to print spreads. Your A5 landscape 2-page spread would be 420mm (16.6") and that spread will not fit on A4 paper, which is 297mm (11.7"). You would need at least tabloid size paper to impose 2-up printer spreads.

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 11.30.54 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-27 at 11.31.59 AM.png

Or you would have to design the booklet as portrait, which will fit on A4:

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 11.30.19 AM.png

• 3. Re: Indesign A5 Booklet Printing Issue - The booklet doesn't fit the current paper size.
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please note that with Duplex printing you will have to make sure that you’ve set the job up in printer spreads including having the front and back cover on a spread together in order for all of the pages to come out correctly.

Even if FatFish arranges the pages as printer spreads, the spreads will not fit on an A4 sheet. Print Booklet feature is there so you don't have to set up a document as printer spreads, which would create all sorts of design problems.

• 4. Re: Indesign A5 Booklet Printing Issue - The booklet doesn't fit the current paper size.
                Bill Silbert Adobe Community Professional

https://forums.adobe.com/people/rob+day  wrote

Even if FatFish arranges the pages as printer spreads, the spreads will not fit on an A4 sheet. Print Booklet feature is there so you don't have to set up a document as printer spreads, which would create all sorts of design problems.

OOps. I had it in my head that he was printing the A5s portrait on the sheet.

• 5. Re: Indesign A5 Booklet Printing Issue - The booklet doesn't fit the current paper size.
                  aFatFish Level 1

urrrgghhhhh of course. Not indesign being stupid; it's me. Thank you!