7 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2006 8:05 PM by Newsgroup_User

Coverting my Graphics - portion to HTML

Level 7
      I know about exporting the splice sections of a Fireworks file into HTML for
      Dreamweaver, BUT to properly do it is another thing. Imagine I have a 640 x
      480 and in the center of this image I may have a 200 x 200 section which I
      want nothing but HTML content - not graphic text. How do I enable this
      feature - of having this HTML area of the graphics? New to FW and LOVE it!
      Thank you!

Dreamweaver 8 / Fireworks 8 traget platform.

• 1. Re: Coverting my Graphics - portion to HTML
          firebat99
          I'm having almost the exact same issue (my post is right below yours atm )
          http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=193&threadid=1149576&en terthread=y

I've skimmed through all the help tutorials assosiated with fireworks and dreamweaver but cant figure it out. It must be something simple that we are both just missing because lots of sites have this stuff.

Like here: http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/galacticrepublic/index.html

They have complicated menus and pictures all around the main body of text, but I cant figure out how they did it.
          • 2. Re: Coverting my Graphics - portion to HTML
            Level 7
            after exporting all the slices into html, can't you just choose the table
            cell with the unwanted graphic portion in DW, and delete the graphic?

"((Sal))" <sal@msn.com> wrote in message
            news:e3aikf$rt8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I know about exporting the splice sections of a Fireworks file into HTML
            >for Dreamweaver, BUT to properly do it is another thing. Imagine I have a
            >640 x 480 and in the center of this image I may have a 200 x 200 section
            >which I want nothing but HTML content - not graphic text. How do I enable
            >this feature - of having this HTML area of the graphics? New to FW and
            >LOVE it! Thank you!
            >
            >
            > Dreamweaver 8 / Fireworks 8 traget platform.
            >

• 3. Re: Coverting my Graphics - portion to HTML
              Level 7
              In FW, you can set the central slice to an HTML slice rather than an
              image slice. Be warned though - if your html content exceeds the
              dimensions of the originally sliced area in FW, the table will break.

Ideally, you should optimize and export our slices in FW, but build the
              html layout in Dreamweaver.

HTH

--
              Jim Babbage - .:CMX:. & .:ACE:.
              Extending Knowledge, Daily
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

((Sal)) wrote:
              > I know about exporting the splice sections of a Fireworks file into HTML for
              > Dreamweaver, BUT to properly do it is another thing. Imagine I have a 640 x
              > 480 and in the center of this image I may have a 200 x 200 section which I
              > want nothing but HTML content - not graphic text. How do I enable this
              > feature - of having this HTML area of the graphics? New to FW and LOVE it!
              > Thank you!
              >
              >
              > Dreamweaver 8 / Fireworks 8 traget platform.
              >
              >
              • 4. Re: Coverting my Graphics - portion to HTML
                Level 7
                Did that, but my supporting tables for the graphics around broke and the
                text does not look as good / or not as positioned as I wish it to be.

I saw a guide alreadyon Macromedia site - 13 pages long, but this does not
                cover the area of how to use the HTML area for exact positioning, etc.

Any other good tutorials for controlling layout tables in ths example?
                Thank you.

"tim harrison" <timharrison@punkass.com> wrote in message
                news:e3b2j6$ih4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > after exporting all the slices into html, can't you just choose the table
                > cell with the unwanted graphic portion in DW, and delete the graphic?
                >
                > "((Sal))" <sal@msn.com> wrote in message
                > news:e3aikf$rt8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >>I know about exporting the splice sections of a Fireworks file into HTML
                >>for Dreamweaver, BUT to properly do it is another thing. Imagine I have a
                >>640 x 480 and in the center of this image I may have a 200 x 200 section
                >>which I want nothing but HTML content - not graphic text. How do I enable
                >>this feature - of having this HTML area of the graphics? New to FW and
                >>LOVE it! Thank you!
                >>
                >>
                >> Dreamweaver 8 / Fireworks 8 traget platform.
                >>
                >
                >

• 5. Re: Coverting my Graphics - portion to HTML
                  Level 7
                  Anymore good tutorials in this process? Yes, my HTML area broke or did not
                  even look right - the texts / layouts.

"Jim Babbage" <jbabbage@newmediaservices.ca> wrote in message
                  news:e3b2s0$ild$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > In FW, you can set the central slice to an HTML slice rather than an image
                  > slice. Be warned though - if your html content exceeds the dimensions of
                  > the originally sliced area in FW, the table will break.
                  >
                  > Ideally, you should optimize and export our slices in FW, but build the
                  > html layout in Dreamweaver.
                  >
                  > HTH
                  >
                  > --
                  > Jim Babbage - .:CMX:. & .:ACE:.
                  > Extending Knowledge, Daily
                  > http://www.communityMX.com/
                  > CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                  > http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                  > ---
                  > .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                  > news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                  > news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                  >
                  > ((Sal)) wrote:
                  >> I know about exporting the splice sections of a Fireworks file into HTML
                  >> for Dreamweaver, BUT to properly do it is another thing. Imagine I have
                  >> a 640 x 480 and in the center of this image I may have a 200 x 200
                  >> section which I want nothing but HTML content - not graphic text. How do
                  >> I enable this feature - of having this HTML area of the graphics? New to
                  >> FW and LOVE it! Thank you!
                  >>
                  >>
                  >> Dreamweaver 8 / Fireworks 8 traget platform.

• 6. Re: Coverting my Graphics - portion to HTML
                    firebat99 Level 1
                    I just did the entire 13 page tutorial that you mentioned \(\(Sal\)\), and (like you), I could not get it to work either. I followed the tutorial to the letter (using the files from the tutorial) but it just did not work. The sides and middle ended up all out of proportion. I think that tutorial was meant for intermediate users, and probably did not mention some key things that imtermediate/advanced users would just know as common knowledge, but begginers would have no idea.

I've been in graphics for years now, but just recently started into web.... boy this stuff is hard.
                    • 7. Re: Coverting my Graphics - portion to HTML
                      Level 7
                      ((Sal)) wrote:
                      > Anymore good tutorials in this process? Yes, my HTML area broke or did not
                      > even look right - the texts / layouts.
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > "Jim Babbage" <jbabbage@newmediaservices.ca> wrote in message
                      > news:e3b2s0$ild$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >> In FW, you can set the central slice to an HTML slice rather than an image
                      >> slice. Be warned though - if your html content exceeds the dimensions of
                      >> the originally sliced area in FW, the table will break.
                      >>
                      >> Ideally, you should optimize and export our slices in FW, but build the
                      >> html layout in Dreamweaver.
                      >>
                      >> HTH
                      >>
                      >> --
                      >> Jim Babbage - .:CMX:. & .:ACE:.
                      >> Extending Knowledge, Daily
                      >> http://www.communityMX.com/
                      >> CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                      >> http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                      >> ---
                      >> .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                      >> news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                      >> news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                      >>
                      >> ((Sal)) wrote:
                      >>> I know about exporting the splice sections of a Fireworks file into HTML
                      >>> for Dreamweaver, BUT to properly do it is another thing. Imagine I have
                      >>> a 640 x 480 and in the center of this image I may have a 200 x 200
                      >>> section which I want nothing but HTML content - not graphic text. How do
                      >>> I enable this feature - of having this HTML area of the graphics? New to
                      >>> FW and LOVE it! Thank you!
                      >>>
                      >>>
                      >>> Dreamweaver 8 / Fireworks 8 traget platform.
                      >
                      >

A link to what you have done could be helpful.

--
                      Jim Babbage - .:CMX:. & .:ACE:.
                      Extending Knowledge, Daily
                      http://www.communityMX.com/
                      CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                      http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                      ---
                      .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                      news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                      news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver