4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2017 10:46 AM by Jao vdL

Major Issue with LR

tylerc3141

I've been using LR on 2014 MBP with 2.6 GHz and 8GB of RAM for a couple years now.  When I started using LR everything ran perfectly but I have now experienced and issue twice where basically LR completely stops working.  Any changes I make in Development take seconds or sometimes minutes to process and I can't open or close any of the development drop down tabs.  I can't access the creative cloud to check for updates, in fact almost every aspect of the Adobe creative suite breaks down.  The only thing that I can do is import photos and browse through the library but even that is lagging.  Last time I had this issue I had to completely delete, uninstall and reinstall LR something I would really like to avoid.  Anyone else experience anything like this, Plz help!!!

• 1. Re: Major Issue with LR
          dj_paige Level 9

Are you doing a lot of brushing and/or a lot of spot healing?

• 2. Re: Major Issue with LR
            tylerc3141 Level 1

No hardly any.  The problem occurs right from start up not slowly over time.  Like I said the program was working fine one day and then crapping out the next.

• 3. Re: Major Issue with LR
              dj_paige Level 9

What is your version NUMBER of Lightroom. (I want the number, not words like "up-to-date")

Try turning off the GPU acceleration (go to Preferences, click on Performance, uncheck "Use Graphics Processor")

• 4. Re: Major Issue with LR
                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This sounds a lot like a bug that was present in an older version of LR so indeed we need to know the version number of Lightroom and the operating system. The current version is CC 2015.12. Is this a retina MBP? If so, it's usually best to keep the GPU acceleration on as they have high enough resolution screens where the GPU acceleration does help but toggling it on and off to see whether LR's behavior changes is a good idea.

Lastly, make sure to check for any hardware issues on your MBP. Even for the version that showed the fatal slowdown, that was usually only after some use. Run a Repair on your hard disk from Disk Utility. Are you running any antivirus software?

1 person found this helpful