1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 24, 2006 10:33 AM by Newsgroup_User

Layout / Design View questions

dukla
      This is the sort of thing I've wondered about before, but would really like to get to the bottom of.

Sometimes things seem to go a bit funny in design view - although the page will display correctly in a browser - but can anyone let me know if there is something not quite right somewhere, or if it actually really matters?

As an example, I've posted some screenshots on the link below. The only difference is that the 'footer' div has been added to the second page. They're both fine in the browser, but as you can see from the screenshots, the first is fine in design view, but the second (the bottom two screenshots) it all looks wrong.

Basically is this anything to worry about?

Even if it isn't, it is a bit annoying, as from a design POV it's good to see things as they should be!

screenshot 1

My second question is about TD widths - in these pages I have a wrapper div set at 780px, and in the table containing the navigation, they navigation buttons/graphics seem to need to be one px narrower than they actually are (54 instead of 55px etc) in order for them to line up to the total 780px, as per the screenshot below :

screenshot 2

If anyone could shed any light on any of this it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
      Iain
        • 1. Re: Layout / Design View questions
          Level 7
          dukla wrote:

> Basically is this anything to worry about?

No its nothing to worry about.

I don't know what version of DW you are using but all versions up to
          2004 didn't handle css that well.

I believe DW8 has improved. However having said that I have found a lot
          of the time that it also has a lot to do with how you write the css. I
          can't believe version 8 can possible cover all eventualities so it
          probably still shows the odd thing or two incorrectly.

Personally I never had much trouble with DW04. It works pretty well with
          the css I write.

> Even if it isn't, it is a bit annoying, as from a design POV it's good to see
          > things as they should be!

Yeah it does get a bit annoying but you have to work through it.

> My second question is about TD widths - in these pages I have a wrapper div
          > set at 780px, and in the table containing the navigation, they navigation
          > buttons/graphics seem to need to be one px narrower than they actually are (54
          > instead of 55px etc) in order for them to line up to the total 780px, as per
          > the screenshot below :
          >
          > http://www.handprintwebdesign.co.uk/CollinsBartholomew/tableDesign.htm
          >
          > If anyone could shed any light on any of this it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think this web thing is totally precise and sometimes you have
          to 'hack' it to do the job. Usually if thing are a px out I don't bother
          unless it screws the design up in too mmnay browsers.