Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2017 very slow to save and import images

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I have just started using InDesign 2017 as I was having some issues with my file in InDesign 2015 and I was hoping changing would fix them but it has only introduced further problems. I was having issues with my document having fatal errors and InDesign would quit, when my document reopened everything was there as there didn't seem to be a problem. I have saved my file as an IDML file and reopened - I have created a new master document and copied my pages over from my previous document but I can't seem to fix this problem. I have a 96 page catalogue that would have 20-30 images per page and the same amount of text boxes. All images are either AI, EPS, PSD, TIFF or JPEG - almost all Photoshop files either have transparent backgrounds and saved as PSD files or have clipping paths and saved as TIFF, almost all Illustrator files are saved as AI with a couple of older ones still remaining as EPS. I do have the odd Photoshop EPS with a clipping path and the odd low resolution JPEG file.

After opening my file in InDesign 2017 at first I thought everything was great but then I noticed when I saved it takes twice as long as usual and when I place images in my document I select the image I want and then I get the spinning ball for about 20-30 seconds before I get the little preview image so that I can place the image.

If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Tania

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tania,

I'm sure someone here will be able to help. But first a few questions.

What System are you using? (I'm pretty sure it's a Mac, because of the "spinning ball" reference.)

What computer model, etc.?

Have you upgraded to the latest InDesign CC 2017 version?

Is the problem with just this one file? Have you opened this file on another computer to see if the issue remains?

Have you tried Trashing your Preferences? https://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Sorry I should have included all of that...

iMac Retina 5K - Late 2015 with 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 and 16GB Ram

Yes I am on the latest InDesign 2017 version

I have the exact same computer at home and it does it there too.

I have two catalogues that I work with - one is a 32pp and it seems fine and the second is my 96pp document that is causing the issues.

I have already trashed my Preferences.

Thanks Tania

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Tania,

You may want to start by looking at the book feature, which will let you divide the catalog up into sections that are contained in separate documents. It's possible the document has too much going on, too many high-res images. Dividing the catalog up into smaller easier-to-digest files may solve the problem.

If you're not familiar with the book feature, here's a video tutorial: http://www.jeffwitchel.net/2015/07/using-the-power-of-the-book-feature-in-indesign/

If this doesn't help, it could take a bit of time and some detective work to find the issue(s).

Best,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines