2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2017 9:43 PM by Kulanjan

Import problems-is my Lightroom program corrupted?

Kulanjan

I am having problems with importing files into Lightroom, and I wonder if it may be that the Library Module of the program is corrupted. Or perhaps I am just not too bright. Either way I need help.

Let me see if I can explain the issue. For my file structure, I have a folder for each year (2016, 2017, etc) with subfolders within in each "year" folder. I add folders using the Import feature of Lightroom. I have done this for several years with no issues. A few months ago I found that although I would import into a subfolder, in the Library Module the new folder would not be found within the "year" folder, but listed on its own. When I look on File Explorer the import did go into the right location, so the file structure in the Library Module folders and those in File Explorer are not the same. Let me see if I can give an example. On File Manger the files look like this:

Columbia Gorge

Grand Canyon

Florida

Mount Rainier

In the Library Module they look like this:

Columbia Gorge

Florida

Grand Canyon

Mount Rainier

With my most recent shoot, I imported the photos from the memory card using File Explorer rather than Lightroom, then imported them into Lightroom from the hard drive location instead of directly the memory card. This worked! When I looked in the Library Module they were in the correct location. Then when I looked this morning that folder was not there, and I had to re-import the photos. There was a Lightroom upgrade this morning, I am not sure if that affected this or not. In any case, I would like to resolve the problem. This is making it hard to find photos, and the missing folder this morning raises the specter of losing photos entirely. I have ignored the problem long enough. I am using Lightroom CC on a Windows 10 computer.

Any help is much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Import problems-is my Lightroom program corrupted?
          dj_paige Level 9

I am having problems with importing files into Lightroom, and I wonder if it may be that the Library Module of the program is corrupted.

Importing problems do not imply catalog corruption.

With my most recent shoot, I imported the photos from the memory card using File Explorer rather than Lightroom, then imported them into Lightroom from the hard drive location instead of directly the memory card. This worked! When I looked in the Library Module they were in the correct location. Then when I looked this morning that folder was not there, and I had to re-import the photos.

You most likely have opened the wrong catalog file. If you use your operating system's search feature and search for .LRCAT files, is there one found with yesterday's date?

• 2. Re: Import problems-is my Lightroom program corrupted?
            Kulanjan Level 1

I did do the search, and only came up with one Lightroom catalogue. Opening the wrong catalogue would explain the missing file, but would not account for the discrepancy between the Library file structure and the one in Windows File Explorer, would it?