• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change Interpolation method of downsize optimized images?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make a gallery website and I'm setting the thumbnail target to contain an image of larger size, so Muse optimize it and downsample it using a certain interpolation method.. BUT... for photos the interpolation method used is terrible. It creates a mid tones contrast and jagged/big radius sharpened images for the thumbnails.

I found out that the best interpolation method, wich produces the most good looking photo thumbnail images is the Bilinear Interpolation method.

Photoshop has the option to change the default interpolation method for drag and drop on document and transform (ctrl+T) procedures, but it seems Muse has absolutely no optimization or resize setting at all

Is there a way to change the interpolation method for the resize and creation of thumbnails or even set the compression rate of the JPGs?

bellow is an example of what I'm talking about

muse export.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Don’t think, such an option would be helpful. The result would be, that a forum like this will be flooded with post of users, who aren’t ready to use such a tool.

And, the essential drawback: If you’d use an algorithm like the ones built into Photoshop, Muse users would fall in rage: „Why the hell is this crappy application THAT slow, when exporting my site?"

If you prepare your images in the exact size you want to place them, quality is completely up to you! If you want „standard“ quality (and Mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you looking for: Better thumbnails or better heroes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking for you. Thank you Günter. Where have you been all this time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for looking for me! But I am there every day (and looking onto my watch: Most of the night too )

But really: What are you looking for: Better thumbnails or better hero images?

The thumbnail quality of a standard slideshow unfortunately can't be influenced by the user. The hero quality will be best, if you use images with exactly(!) the pixel dimensions you need in your layout. Simply have a look onto the "W" and "H" values of your hero image container shown in the "Transform" panel and prepare your images in exactly this size. In this case Muse won't even touch your images. Input quality therefore will be exactly the same as output quality.

If you want "hand optimize" the thumbnails: Don't use a slide show, but a composition widget. You can configure it just like a slideshow. If you do so, you can create your thumbnails by using the exact size of the composition widget's triggers and place (or fill) them into the triggers. If you don't scale these images and place them in original size, Muse won't change anything – the image quality will be completely in your hands!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made this on the shadow box targets.

when the thumbnail is clicked, it triggers the shadow box that shows a version of that picture i've optimized via photoshop action using the Fit command. So I'm able to choose the Original Size on the target shadow box.

the big problem is that I've choose an iregular mosaic style similar to flickr thumbnails design. So I can't automate any action to do it in a batch as each row of thumbnails has different pixel heights. Sounds messy, but the results are cool.

Now I can see Muse has definitely no option to set options like what interpolation it will use to downsize the graphics.

this is really sad... I took several hours to hand optimize my thumbnails :T

hopefully they will add this function in the future

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don’t think, such an option would be helpful. The result would be, that a forum like this will be flooded with post of users, who aren’t ready to use such a tool.

And, the essential drawback: If you’d use an algorithm like the ones built into Photoshop, Muse users would fall in rage: „Why the hell is this crappy application THAT slow, when exporting my site?"

If you prepare your images in the exact size you want to place them, quality is completely up to you! If you want „standard“ quality (and Muse does a very good job on that) place your images and let Muse do the work!

Best workflow to do so:

• Build your layout using the „image frame“ tool (= the crossed out rectangle).
  • Open the „Transform“ panel to find the exact pixel size.
  • Prepare your image in Photoshop in exactly this size.
  • When ready, go to Muse, choose the „Place“ command, load your images into your „Place“ cursor, and click onto every image frame to place it.

A better result can’t be achieved – not in Muse and not in any other web creation tool.

I think the main problem is, that users, coming from print design, use images, which are way(!!) to big (no exception: 4000 x 2500 px images placed in Muse with 200 x 130 px). The result has to be suboptimal, when reducing size in such exorbitant dimensions without exactly knowing, what this will cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines