3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 4:16 AM by davescm

Layering Transparencies (advanced blending?)

TheCrownFox

There's a good chance I'm not using the correct wording in this question, just as a disclaimer!

I have multiple bottles with reflections that I am creating into a product lineup. I want them to keep their reflections (which are mostly transparent) BUT not show through to the other bottles reflections. Picture attached. I've been reading and toying around with using knockout group in blending modes, and honestly nothing changes. I'm not sure what else to even search for at this point. Is this possible to do and if so, could someone help me out?

Thanks for your time!

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 3.23.20 PM.png

• 1. Re: Layering Transparencies (advanced blending?)
          davescm Adobe Community Professional

Hi

If I am reading this correctly, you have each bottle with it's own reflection on a separate layer?  If so I would mask each individually (rather than blending) then fade out with a mask on a group. That way you keep bottles in front of each other and without that darkening effect you are showing on the overlap.

Dave

• 2. Re: Layering Transparencies (advanced blending?)
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Bottles are tricky to photograph, so I always do groups shots one bottle at a time and composite back together. If you are shooting on glass (Which I never do because of the second offset reflection from the underside of the glass) or acrylic, then include the reflection when making the clipping mask, but if you are doing this for a client, then make sure that's what they need.  I am always asked to supply PNG files with transparent backgrounds so they can be built up as required in their websites or leaflets.

If you are talking about overlapping reflections, then rather than use blend modes, you could add a layer mask to one bottle, and copy the layer mask to the next bottle and invert it.  That gives you perfect alignment of thew two masks.  I don't think we have quite enough information to give you better answers than that.   Incidentally, if you are getting into that sort of commercial photography seriously, then am loving the Canon 5DS I moved to after giving up on a high res replacement for the 1DsMK3.  The 50Mp resolution makes it so much easier to created really detailed clipping masks.  You might also like to get hold of Fil Hunter's Light Science & Magic book.  It is the definitive work on tricky product photography.

• 3. Re: Layering Transparencies (advanced blending?)
              davescm Adobe Community Professional

I hope you got to test the product after photographing it Trevor

Dave