Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Performance with AMD Ryzen 1800X

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

So, first things first, this actually relates to Premiere Pro CS6 but still hoping someone might be able to help out.

I recently upgraded my PC from an Intel Core i5-4690K (3.5GHz, quad-core, four-thread) to an AMD Ryzen 1800X (3.6GHz, eight-core, 16 thread) CPU and immediately noticed there was hardly any performance improvement when doing project exports.

I had a rummage around and further noticed that when the encode is running it only ever shows the CPU running at 50% load. Ho hum, I thought - maybe it just isn't well optimised for Ryzen/16-thread processors.

I carried on like this for a while then was forced to edit a video on my laptop while I was away on holiday. I was fulling expecting an export to take sevearl times longer than the normal 20-60mins, but it actually did it in 10 minutes - my laptop has just an Intel Core i5-6200U (dual-core, four thread).

A huge chunk of the reason for this is that i disabled "render at max quality" on my laptop, which is something I normally enable. Enabling this and the laptop took about an hour.

Returning to my main PC I reran the same export on the same project and it took almost exactly the the same time with max quality turned on, and was about twice as fast with it turned off. So, still not that big a difference at best, and not difference at worst.

The rest of my main PC is an AMD Radeon 290X graphics card, 16GB DDR4, SSDs for files and cache, Windows 10 64-bit. I use hardly any effects - a watermark, some time stretching, the odd title, a bit of crossfading.

So, well, there are kind of many possible questions but I'll try and keep things as succinct as possible:

1. Perhaps first and foremost, just to save me loads of time... Should I just never enable "max render quality"?

2. Is Ryzen just poorly supported in CS6? Like, is the 50% load and rubbish encode speed with max quality typical? Or is it that CS6 has poor optimisation for more than four cores?

3. Could it be something to do with the graphics card I'm using and it's lack of support for hardware acceleration of the encode process? I've also changed graphics card fairly recently from a GTX 670, but I didn't notice any change at the time I made the upgrade (this was with the Intel 4690K) Does CS6 support some video encoding hardware on the 6200U?

I suppose the crux is does this sound like something that would be fixed just by upgrading to a later version or Premiere that has better multi-core/Ryzen optimisation or are there actually some tweaks I can make to improve things (or is the performance problem just inherent and no amount of upgrading or tweaking will solve it)?

Thanks,

Ed

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2 - as far as I know from past messages, Intel CPU's have special commands coded into the CPU that Premiere Pro uses... and those commands are not present in an AMD CPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines