1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 3, 2017 10:00 AM by Joel_Geraci

Adding Auto Tab to Adobe Fillable Form

travisg450478

Ok, so I've done some research on trying to add the auto tab feature to a fillable form I'm creating. It's a questionnaire and I need it to auto tab onto multiple lines (2 different text fields), I needed to create enough room for someone to write anywhere from 20-150 characters without having to tab to the next line to complete the answer. I'm no where near understanding javascript, but in my quest in trying to figure out how to auto tab I learned that I need to input the correct javascript in the first text field properties under the format tab. I've came across multiple forums that have showed me similar javascript, but I cannot get it to work in my fillable form. So hopefully anyone who replies to this can dumb it down a bit for me to understand. Or at least point me in the right direction, any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Adding Auto Tab to Adobe Fillable Form
          Joel_Geraci Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like you want to set up two fields where text entered into one will overflow into another when the first is filled. If that's the case, stop, back away slowly, don't make any sudden movements, and maintain eye contact with Acrobat at all times. Theres' no way to make this experience a good one using just form fields in Acrobat.

Writing a script to jump to the next field when the first is filled is relatively simple but then yo have the problem of selecting text across two fields when the user decides to edit the text they've entered.

A better approach is to create a dialog that will get triggered when either field is clicked (mouse down), allow the user to enter as much text as they like, then split the text across the two fields when the dialog is dismissed. You'd then populate the dialog with the existing text when they clicked again, then split it after another edit.