3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 4:22 PM by davescm

Trying to add stylized text into photo

kellyk47862718

Im trying to add text within this photo while maintaining the grain and character of the background - I want the text to replace the white pedestrian lines on the ground without interrupting the wires above the ground

I have tried getting rid of the lines with the patch tool, but it comes out with a light white sheen. I have also done the Horizontal Type Tool while sampling from the photo itself, and the effect is still not what I want - anyone have a suggestion?yoel-j-gonzalez-304137.jpg

• 1. Re: Trying to add stylized text into photo
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This will be a multi-step process. You will need to

Tightly select all of the wires that you want to remain, and move them to a new layer.

Do some careful work with cloning, patching and content-aware fills to remove the existing pedestrian lines.

Create your text and use the various distort tools to match the angle you want, and fill with sampled color.

Use a bit of grain and blur (and possibly a small amount of transparency) to make the text blend with the underlying photo.

Can you show what you have tried so far?

• 2. Re: Trying to add stylized text into photo
            davescm Adobe Community Professional

Hi

You can minimise the cloning by offsetting a duplicate of the layer and adding a layer mask hiding all. Then painting in some of the road from that offset layer over the white lines. In the example below I did this twice.

There was still some cloning required.

Place the text in a smart object then warp and distort it. Add a mask filled with noise and paint some of the text edges on the mask with black to make it look a little street worn

A gradient fill clipped to the text layer  helps match the lighting

Finally another duplicate of the background  - this time with no offset but with a mask revealing any missing wire sections

I hope that helps to get you started

Dave

• 3. Re: Trying to add stylized text into photo
              davescm Adobe Community Professional

Alternatively you could do all of the above to get rid of the white lines , but put the text in as a 3D extrusion

Dave