1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 5:14 PM by Bill Silbert

How to rename a permanent swatch in InDesign?

nicolea41005317

How do you rename a permanent swatch in InDesign? I need to change the name of SPOT WHITE to WHITE INK and keep it permanent. There is no "Finishing" Swatch file in my application folder, so I cannot delete delete it. 
      I want to either delete the whole "Finishing" group altogether, so I can make a new one, or be able to rename just one of the names. It won't let me! HELP!!!

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 4.03.22 PM.png

• 1. Re: How to rename a permanent swatch in InDesign?
          Bill Silbert Adobe Community Professional

Changes to the default color swatches can be made by opening the swatch panel while no document pages are open and then after adding or subtracting a color quitting the program which makes it part of your preference file. Since the colors that you are dealing with were created for a document they will not be there when you close the document so they will have to be defined anew in the swatch panel using the process that I have just described.

After you have added default colors like this it would be a good idea to make a copy of your preference file for future occasions when you might have to reset your preferences but you don't want to lose your custom swatch panel.

The preference files can be found:

For Macintosh Users: With InDesign closed Launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it will be found the folder Adobe InDesign which you should copy.

For Windows Users the file can be found at: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#]