5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2017 12:43 PM by davescm

Changing Default Framerate in Photoshop

StNachts

So, basically, my friend and I are trying to use a combination of photoshop and After Effects. We are importing a video into photoshop using the "Import Video Frames to Layers" option. 

However, photoshop automatically imports the video at 30 frames per second. We can change that immediately after to our desired 24 frames per second, but that speeds up the video so that it no longer matches our original video.

How can we address this? I can provide more information if necessary.

• 1. Re: Changing Default Framerate in Photoshop
          davescm Adobe Community Professional

Import Video Frames to layers will allocate the frame time according the framerate of the imported clip. So a 30fps clip will be given 0.033 secs per frame time   If you alter that after import you will indeed change the overall length.  Changing to 24 fps (0.042 secs per frame) will slow it down not speed it up

Convert the video to the desired frame-rate before importing to Photoshop using handbrake or similar software

Dave

• 2. Re: Changing Default Framerate in Photoshop
            StNachts Level 1

Hey! Thank you for your response!

So, then we must be doing something else wrong. Because when we export it, the video is noticeably faster than the source video.

We are basically using Photoshop to rotoscope. So we are trying to export a video of just one person at the same speed and frame rate as the original video. What we run into is the exported video is faster than the original, and  frames don't line up. Some frames are missing as well, but that's a separate problem. I can send reference images if needed to showcase the problem in a more visual way.

• 3. Re: Changing Default Framerate in Photoshop

Hi

I've just been walking through your workflow here on CC2017.1.1 and the issue appears to be going from the individual frame animation (which is the result of Import Video Frames to Layers) back to a video timeline.  I imported 3.3 seconds = 165 frames of a 50fps video  which correctly showed in the timeline as 0.02secs per frame).

However on exporting the video to the same 50 fps I get a 5.48 sec video and at 24 fps a 5.46 sec video. It does indeed look like the conversion from frames to video is going via 30fps for which 165 frames would be 5.5 seconds regardless of the time settings in the frame animation or export frame rate setting.

I am looking to see if I can find a workaround for that, but I'm slightly puzzled at present

Dave

• 4. Re: Changing Default Framerate in Photoshop
                StNachts Level 1

Hello again!

So, it is a workaround, but we figured out how to make it work for us. So if you output it at the default 30 frames a second then it gets the correct frames. When we bring it into After Effects, we can simply apply a stretch factor of 125.125125% to make it the correct length. That makes it work perfectly.  The number came from dividing 30 by 23.976 (the framerate of our original video). I don't know exactly why it works out like that, but I'm not going to argue with something that works!

Thank you so much for your help,

Stephen Nachtsheim

• 5. Re: Changing Default Framerate in Photoshop

Glad you found a way round.

A couple of other ways are :

1. Stay in video rather than animation throughout - this

2. If you need to use animation layers :

a. make a copy of your animation document with all the editing you needed

b. Flatten Frames to Layers - so you now have one layer per frame again

c. Delete the old layers

d. Save it as a PSD

e. Import it into After Effects and make a new comp at your original frame rate and with each layer having a duration of 1 frame

That does result in the correct frame rate being maintained - and no dropped frames (I tried it with that 50fps clip) . You have to watch you layer numbering though to ensure the frames go across in the right order

Dave