• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resume in Photoshop

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have Photoshop CC on my computer and I hate using Microsoft Word for designing my resume, so I decided to use Photoshop. Now I'm stuck.

1. I can only save it as a "Photoshop PDF." At first I was having trouble getting it to save small enough without losing quality, but then I ran into a bigger problem, which is my main question:

2. The text is not editable or searchable. I would be screwed if people tried to run it through a keyword software. When I export it as a photoshop pdf, it is basically an image. I'm guessing this is because I flattened or rasterized the text but I have no clue at what point in the process I did this or how to undo it.

Bottom line: I can redo my resume, but how do I create it so it's a searchable PDF that you can highlight the text and such???

Thanks in advance for your help. I am so frustrated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

I have to agree with Barb.  PS is the last choice for creating a resume or CV.

Google docs has suitable software on line & it's free.  They even have Templates to get you started.

https://docs.google.com/templates

Professional Resume Templates From Google Docs

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allow me to begin by pointing out that Photoshop is a photo-editing program. I'm not a Microsoft fan either, but I'd pick InDesign first, and Illustrator second—as a resume-creating tool. Photoshop would be dead-last on my list (and I love Photoshop!)

I just converted this file to PDF:

Photoshop CCss_013.png

I can edit/search/highlight the plain type, but the grunge-look text is perceived to be images. Acrobat Pro DCss_001.png

We haven't seen your file, but plain text should be editable, as per the example above. You might try to simplify the layout. But it if were me, I'd chalk it up as a learning exercise, and redo it in InDesign or Illustrator or Word. All of which will create searchable text. It will be much quicker the second time around because you know how you want it to look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand it's unconventional and used for photo editing. Unfortunately it's the only software on my computer..........

I'm happy to redo it, but if photoshop is my only option for software, what tips do you have there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with Barb.  PS is the last choice for creating a resume or CV.

Google docs has suitable software on line & it's free.  They even have Templates to get you started.

https://docs.google.com/templates

Professional Resume Templates From Google Docs

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This spring I was an instructor for the Adobe Generation Professional / Adobe Education Exchange course entitled 'Digital Me'.   In the course I did a live demo showing how to build a CV/Resume in Adobe InDesign.  I highly recommend using Adobe InDesign to create your CV/Resume.  This is a million times better than Photoshop and really allows you to go back and make changes as you update your CV/Resume.

You can view all the content from the 'Digital Me' course by going to my Adobe Portfolio site.

https://kennshinabery.myportfolio.com/speaking-engagements

Scroll down to the section called: ONLINE COURSES AND LECTURES

Then look for this particular one....

2017 March through April - Adobe Generation Professional / Edge Gain - Course Instructor - Course Title: "

Digital Me: Digital Portfolios, Assessment & Employability"

That is where you will find all the links to the course.  Make sure you are logged in to Adobe before clicking on the links.

But there you will see how to create a CV/Resume the proper way... plus learn how to market and promote yourself online.... build a portfolio and more!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken,

The OP doesn't have InDesign or Illustrator or any other software except PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh.... ok.

Anyways, those links are really helpful when it comes to design as well and they are part of an free Adobe course series!

I think if anything I would keep things in MicrosoftWord then as you can at least save as PDF that is searchable by the algorithms that many companies utilize.

Unless you want to get insanely creative with it, then go for Photoshop.  Or download the 7 day trial of InDesign and give it a go.  At least then you will have 7 days to create a proper resume.  The trial is free and doesn't hurt to use.  In fact, learning InDesing will only help you in the long run.  I remember wanting to use Photoshop for everything.... then I started branching out and using other Adobe software.  Give the trial a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALSO....

If you use a template... make sure you change it a little bit.

Think about it this way.... If you are a recruiter, HR manger or Hiring Manager... you will see the same template over and over and over again.  So... if you use a template, then do something to make the design unique.  Never copy one exactly.

Second thing make sure you adjust your CV/Resume to which ever country you are sending it to.  Example, some European countries want your photo.  Strange and crazy for an American as we would be totally against that.  But here if you do not follow their rules, then they will look at you funny.  So know the rules for what ever company you are applying to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh one other word of advice.

When creating a CV/Resume... sometimes it is good to have a plain text version done in Word.  I saw you mentioned that some companies have keyword searches or algorithms that enable them to sift through CVs/Resumes.  Thus, fancy resume do not read correctly for their systems.

Example, when a Job page asks to import my CV and auto fill in the blanks.... my fancy CV/Resume never works.  So what I do is input everything by hand and then at then end when it asks for attachments... I upload my fancy CV/Resume that was created in InDesign there.

Also, some job pages allow you to link your LinkedIn profile, which also fills things out perfectly.  So then you can just upload the fancy version of your CV/Resume as an attachment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read all the posts in this question.  This answer below is the closest to what the OP was asking for.  He wants to know if it is possible to make his photoshop-made resume more legible to software resume readers.  First off.  My input would be,  I'm not sure.  It is a problem that I have and I do this as well:

KShinabery212  wrote

When creating a CV/Resume... sometimes it is good to have a plain text version done in Word.  I saw you mentioned that some companies have keyword searches or algorithms that enable them to sift through CVs/Resumes.  Thus, fancy resume do not read correctly for their systems.

Example, when a Job page asks to import my CV and auto fill in the blanks.... my fancy CV/Resume never works.  So what I do is input everything by hand and then at then end when it asks for attachments... I upload my fancy CV/Resume that was created in InDesign there.

But almost every other post here is unhelpful!  In some instances other apps like Illustrator and InDesign were suggested before the OP let it be known that he only had Photoshop the second or third time... Then it kept coming!  It was like the OP messages weren't coming through.

Anyway...  Wild read.  Came in with the same question and expected some talk on how or what makes the text readable in a PS PDF WITHIN this post.  @BarbBinder kind of did that.  My experience was reading a lot of self-absorbed messages. My reread confirms that.  I'll keep looking and report back with some MUST HAVE settings to make a PS PSD usable when run through software resume readers.  If even possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need Acrobat's OCR software to make editable text from images.

Convert PDF to instantly editable text, OCR software | Adobe Acrobat DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  So I have Acrobat Pro DC but am still not getting the results I am looking for.  What the the settings that you should use when saving as a PDF in photoshop or exporting?  For instance, I don't know if 'keeping the layers editable' would be helpful or not.... now that I think about it.. it probably is. Here's my PS file and resulting PDF.  ***"just noticed" edit****I see my issue.  Not sure how my file got rasterized.  I never remember doing that...  I bought a template... this Materialize one.  I want to use it if possible.  All text layers should be text layers.  Any other concerns I should have.  I'm remaking a word one as well....

My Stuff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going back to my original reply, I feel strongly that Photoshop is the absolute wrong software for creating resumes /CVs.  That's not what it is intended for.  As a workaround, you can scan flattened files with Acrobat DC and possibly get editable text out of it.  But that's nothing more than a workaround.

Ideally, you want to start with a text resume that you can spell & grammar check + update periodically.  Another concern is file size.  Text files are fairly small.  Prospective employers won't appreciate a heavy graphics file taking up space in their inbox.  If you've got access to MS Word, use it.  Then open Acrobat DC and make your Word docx into a PDF.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent the afternoon redoing my entire PS file that I purchased.  Now when I open the PDF, all words can be highlighted like they can in say a word doc converted to PDF.  I'm almost positive this is because when I saved it, I needed to have "preserve ps editing capabilities" on.  In my mind, I turned this off initially because it sounds like it would just make the file larger.  Guess not.  Now I'm going to run it through a keyword reader along with a version that is just made in word.  If they get the same results, there should be zero talk of what program to use nor should there be unless the OP changed his mind later on and bought programs he specifically said he doesn't have.  He only has PS and word.  He doesn't like word or would rather use something more expressive.  PS, he's wondering, might be that option.  If there was a paid program called "Perfect Resume Writer" and it legitimately was just that, maybe it would be worth mentioning.... BUT still unhelpful given the OP's described constraints (not owning it/being able to benefit from it).  If I were him, I would care so little about people's opinions that drift from my focus and don't answer my question.  He doesn't care (I'm guessing) in a person he doesn't know's opinion on using software he might not even be familiar with.  In his question, he is asking how to get readable text in photoshop.  THAT IS IT.

If you don't have an answer you don't have to give one.

here's link to most recent update.  as you can see, lots of commotion but still all readable in PDF viewer

new resume (looking for job in Chicago!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rocketship69  wrote

If you don't have an answer you don't have to give one.

I gave my answer 3 months ago when this was first posted.  Why you resurrected it, I don't know.  I'm sure the OP is long gone.   So it's not for their benefit.

Despite what you say, I still prefer to use text based software for resumes.  After spending close to 20 years writing and updating CVs professionally, a graphics app makes no sense to me for this.  I'm sorry if you don't like my answers.  You of course don't have to read them.

Best of luck in your job search .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

I was the EMEA instructor for the Adobe Generation Professional/Adobe Education Exchange course entitled "Digital Me" last spring.  I covered creating a CV in Adobe InDesign and really dove into the set up behind it.

The recording is still on the Adobe Education Exchange.... actually it could be quite helpful for those interested in creating a CV.

Again thank you for the compliment.  I always try to answer questions from the heart and provide the best advice!  It is called giving back to the community and I like to do just that!

Cheers,

Kenn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good day! Thank you for the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines