36 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2018 1:40 AM by gigeli82367597

Intel or AMD?

KeelerJ Level 1

Hello!

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts on how Adobe Premiere Pro and After Affects perform with recent AMD processors compared to Intel processors. It was my understanding that in the past, Intel was the way to go -- AMD processors apparently lacked certain instruction sets that were useful in Premiere and After Affects?

However, in reading some recent threads on this hardware forum, I've gotten the impression that the AMD Ryzen processors -- while perhaps not quite as good as the best Intel processors -- are significantly better than previous generation AMD processors. Generally speaking, can the most recent AMD processors now be used with solid results in Premiere and After Affects? Or is Intel still the way to go?

If you have any general guidelines (or thoughts about the latest round of AMD and Intel processors that are in the process of being announced), I would appreciate it! Thanks!

• 1. Re: Intel or AMD?
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

many people are using amd ryzen just fine, so the old "intel only" rule is gone. right now its amd for value, intel for top performance.  amd is still slightly slower at around 10-20% vs its intel counterpart, but often costs much less. off the shelf computers may not reflect those prices as intel plays dirty with pc vendors like hp and dell to undermine amd.

• 2. Re: Intel or AMD?
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Puget Systems is a good place to read Premiere Pro specific hardware articles.  So far they have tested the i9-7900X against Ryzen 7 1700X and 1800X, but I am holding out for some hands on with Threadripper,  and more information on the other i9X chips.  My gut tells me that X299 is still the way to go, but I have not seen a motherboard that really takes my fancy yet.  With X399 ASRock has two boards in the Professional Gaming and TaiChai that have useful storage capabilities.  So I am sitting on the fence with money burning a hole in my pocket, but I want to get this right.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-1-2-CPU-Comparison-Skylake -X-Kaby-Lake-X-Broadwell-E-Kab…

• 3. Re: Intel or AMD?
              KeelerJ Level 1

Thanks, RoninEdits! So generally speaking, a higher-end AMD Ryzen can be expected to perform solidly if not pushed with difficult 4K or higher projects? From what I'm reading, I get the impression that if you're working with 1080 HD, probably any decent Ryzen or i7 would handle the job?

• 4. Re: Intel or AMD?
                KeelerJ Level 1

Thanks, Trevor Dennis! I appreciate the link to the Puget Systems article. After reading that one, I found a similar article discussing how the different processors perform in After Effects and was impressed by the performance of the i7 7700K and 7740K. I see that these processors only support 64GB of RAM, but then that is also the case with the Ryzen 7s.

It appears that the 7700K and the 7740K fall short of the Ryzens and other processors when it comes to rendering previews and exporting files, though in my case I'm looking for solid performance with playback during editing and am less concerned with export times. Would you recommend a 7700K or a 7740K for someone planning to use Premiere Pro and After Affects primarily with 1080 HD?

• 5. Re: Intel or AMD?

So generally speaking, a higher-end AMD Ryzen can be expected to perform solidly if not pushed with difficult 4K or higher projects?

yes. the various acticles on puget's site as trevor pointed out can help show specifics of what ryzen can handle.

I get the impression that if you're working with 1080 HD, probably any decent Ryzen or i7 would handle the job?

HD timelines in premiere and AE typically top out around 4 cpu cores. the amd ryzen 6 core cpu is a good budget and value option that will handle HD and some 4k. the amd ryzen 8 core would be better for 4k and could better handle background rendering. if you wanted an intel i7, you might wait a while till intel releases their 8th gen desktop lineup with 6 core cpu's (which previously topped at 4 core cpu's).

• 6. Re: Intel or AMD?
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I have done a lot of testing and gotten test results from many people.  I would not suggest the i7-7700K as it only has four cores the Ryzen 7 family beats any 4-core Intel product.  Look at my test data from my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM)

• 7. Re: Intel or AMD?
                      ingeborgdot Level 1

The Ryzen 7 is the best bang for the buck right now.  Why would Puget systems test an over $1000 CPU against a 3 to 4 hundred dollar CPU?  An overclocked Ryzen 7 will really do well against the i7 in it's price range and even better. 

I just built 2 machines.  One is an i7 7700 and the other is the Ryzen 7 1700X.  I'm blown away by the Ryzen.  They have done very well with this build for sure.  The Ryzen will handle 4k very well and even better than a 7700k.  You'll have to go up a step in intel line which will also jump a bunch in price to beat the Ryzen 7.

• 8. Re: Intel or AMD?

KeelerJ  wrote

Thanks, Trevor Dennis! I appreciate the link to the Puget Systems article. After reading that one, I found a similar article discussing how the different processors perform in After Effects and was impressed by the performance of the i7 7700K and 7740K. I see that these processors only support 64GB of RAM, but then that is also the case with the Ryzen 7s.

Good gracious.  I knew the Kaby Lake X CPUs were compromised, but I didn't realise how badly.  With 64Gb maximum memory, 16 PCIe lanes and the resulting restriction on storage options, I am not sure why anyone would pay $350 and upwards for an X299 motherboard?   I've stepped back from reading every last article I can find, and have forgotten some of what I read, but I have a sort of intuitive veer towards X299 from some of the things I have read — I just can't remember what that was though.  It's a bugger getting old.

So I am just going to stay sat on my fence until we have more information.  That looks like it might be a longer wait than I was hoping with some of the i9X chips pushed back to October now.  We should see the more interesting 7920X this month though.  Meanwhile, the tech sites all put up Threadripper unboxing articles yesterday, with full reviews promised not to far away.

We have also heard that X399 can't boot from NVMe raid0, but I can't see that putting people off too much.  Although I have not seen whether you can still boot from a single NVMe drive.  I would certainly hope so.

AMD X399 Supports Bootable SATA RAID, But Not NVMe RAID

• 9. Re: Intel or AMD?

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

We have also heard that X399 can't boot from NVMe raid0, but I can't see that putting people off too much.  Although I have not seen whether you can still boot from a single NVMe drive.  I would certainly hope so.

AMD X399 Supports Bootable SATA RAID, But Not NVMe RAID

Who, in their right mind would want RAID 0 for a boot drive let alone the M.2 NVMe devices?  It would a total waste of the M.2

• 10. Re: Intel or AMD?
                            KeelerJ Level 1

Thanks, Bill! Looks like the Ryzen 7 1700 and 1700X perform very well according to your data. Having eight cores and a better ability to work in 4K if needed would be nice for future-proofing a little bit.

• 11. Re: Intel or AMD?
                              KeelerJ Level 1

Thanks, ingeborgdot! The direct comparison of a Ryzen 7 1700x to an i7 7700 is helpful. What clock speed are you running on your Ryzen 7? I'm searching for a stable computer that will work hard for a long time to come, so it's unlikely that I would experiment with overclocking.

• 12. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                KeelerJ Level 1

On a different note, does anyone have guidelines for an ideal number of PCIe lanes offered by a processor? Every time I think I have a proper understanding of PCIe lanes, I read something else that confuses me. I'm looking to run a single graphics card (probably a GTX 1060 with 6GB of memory), and possibly/probably a Samsung M.2 drive and a sound card. How many PCIe lanes would I need for this?

Also, am I correct that some motherboards have chipsets that essentially give you extra PCIe lanes? Thanks!

• 13. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                  ingeborgdot Level 1

I have a slight OC.  I am running at 3.8 but started with stock which was still almost as good.  I know others have gone higher than 3.8 but I don' need anymore than that right now.

• 14. Re: Intel or AMD?

You would have 16-lanes for the GPU and 4-lanes for the M.2 card and I do not know about the sound card as most people on the forum do not use one, they just use the motherboard sound.  I never have used one in my almost 20 years at this.

• 15. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                      KeelerJ Level 1

Thanks, Bill! So I would want at least 20 lanes if not more. I've read that the quality of motherboard sound has risen in recent years, so perhaps sound cards aren't really necessary now. However, I did install a modest sound card in a video editing computer several years ago (the motherboard was circa 2008), and the improvement in sound quality was impressive.

• 16. Re: Intel or AMD?

amd ryzen on x370 and intel on z270 are able to run 1 video card at x16, or two video cards at x8/x8, or 1 video card and whatever else you may need like a raid card etc. amd will run the m.2 slot from cpu pcie lanes on the motherboard, while intel m.2 slots will use chipset pcie lanes. both mainstream platforms are sufficient for what most people need. amd and intel high end platforms can support 3-4 video cards or a mix of various cards. if you were going to add a sound card or other misc x1-x4 card it should be fine in a slot using chipset pcie lanes, or an external usb audio interface if you are after high quality audio.

• 17. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                          ingeborgdot Level 1

I have a question similar to that above.  I have the Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 board.  I have a video card.  I have also installed an M.2 in the one slot on the board.  Would I be able to add another NVME m.2 card to an adapter and put in on the PCIe slot?  and not lose any speed of the NVME m.2 card? 

• 18. Re: Intel or AMD?

the second slot should run at x8 and should run a x4 m.2 at full speed. it would force the video card to x8, which might have a performance impact on cards like a gtx 1080 or above.

• 19. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                              ingeborgdot Level 1

I don't have a 1080 card. 

I'm just trying to figure out if I take 2 ssds and Raid 0 them or get another NVME M.2 card and install it on an adapter and put in the PCIe slot.  I have this dilemma out on another forum looking for answers.  As I'm sure with many, seconds make a difference when you work with 2-3 hour videos.  Those seconds actually turn into minutes which after a while turn into hours.  Speed is my friend.

• 20. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                                RjL190365 Level 5

It's better to just get a PCIe adapter card. RAID 0 has absolutely zero redundancy – and if even one drive goes bad, everything on all drives in that array will be permanently lost, and extremely difficult and expensive to recover.

• 21. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                                  ingeborgdot Level 1

First, it will be a scratch disk/media cache drive so loss doesn't mean much.  When you say zero redundancy can you tell me what that means for sure.  Are you referring to a mirror? 

• 22. Re: Intel or AMD?

I seriously doubt that you will find any performance improvement for your scratch/media cache on a RAID 0 array or a M.2 SSD over just using a standard single SATA III SSD

• 23. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                                      ingeborgdot Level 1

I am not questioning you because you know what you are talking about, but do you really think so?   Not even with the 2 to 3 hour videos that I work with?

• 24. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                                        ingeborgdot Level 1

Okay, I have one more question on a different scenario.

What if I put the M.2 slot I have on the board as the scratch disk/media cache and my OS & programs on an SSD?  Does that sound like it would give me the fastest solution?  OS on a fast SSD but the scratch disk which needs more speed on the blazing M.2 slot.

• 25. Re: Intel or AMD?

KeelerJ  wrote

Thanks, Bill! So I would want at least 20 lanes if not more. I've read that the quality of motherboard sound has risen in recent years, so perhaps sound cards aren't really necessary now. However, I did install a modest sound card in a video editing computer several years ago (the motherboard was circa 2008), and the improvement in sound quality was impressive.

There are other options like USB D to A Converters.  I used an Aune X1 MK2 with a USB connection back when I was using Windows 7.  It drove a pair of Tasco five inch monitors, and the sound quality was all you could ask for.  Unfortunately, while I still use the same DAC, it seems that no one can make that particular one work with Windows 10.   I used S/PDIF for a year or two before I broke the socket, and Windows 10 was forever getting its knickers in a twist about what sound device to use, so I now drive it via the motherboard headphone jack.  It still sounds OK to me, but I am a retired engineer, and I don't hear anything above 8kHz with online test sites like this.

Hearing Test - Can You Hear This?

USB DACs are a viable alternative to a PCIe sound card, so long as you only want audio out, and you can get them for similar cost.

Top 5 Best USB DACs Under $200

• 26. Re: Intel or AMD?

Where is your media?

• 27. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                                              ingeborgdot Level 1

Not sure what you mean.  It is not set up yet and it is a new build.   

• 28. Re: Intel or AMD?

What are you going use to store your media files?

• 29. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                                                  ingeborgdot Level 1

I got it all figured out I think. 

I will be using an M.2 NVMe MyDigitalssd 240GB for my OS.  I will be using a 480GB M.2 NVMe MyDigitalssd attached to a PCIe adapter for my scratch disk/media cache.  I will be using a 1TB Samsung 850 Evo for my Project & Source media.  I will also have a WD Gold internal 2TB HDD for extra storage or backup.  I also have a 20TB NAS for backup and a 2TB eSata, USB 3 or firewire external storage for backup.  I think I have enough backup sites and extra storage for my large files that I will have. 

• 30. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                                                    agacharts15245011 Level 1

IF CPU == intel THEN GoFast();

ELSE Lack();

• 31. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                                                      DavidPoulton Level 1

UPDATE: June 2018. as a current video producer that uses AMD, my advise is -stay away from AMD FX and AMD APU from 2016 and earlier because they are poorly optimized for content creation. Yes, you could get by if you are using A10+ or FX 8530+ with premiere CC 2014 or earlier, but if you want the latest CC, there are still utilization issues with the 1st edition Ryzen. my recommendation is to aim for a Ryzen 2,000 series CPU or APU 5 - 7 or the latest Thread ripper 1.5 edition. Or you could wait another year when they finalize Ryzen because by then AMD could surpass Intel. I currently use AMD A8 9600 (2016 APU) and it's terrible to work with.

• 32. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                                                        emil tanem Level 1

Regarding HDD setup, I believe this is what you should aim for withing your budget:

OS and applications: M.2 ssd

cache: 2 or 3 regular ssd in raid 0.

media: 4 to 8 hdds in raid 0.

I’m using 8x3TB barracuda drives because thy are fast, but may be that todays 8TB are faster? Respons time is key here, not top speed.

* you will need backup: either double up number of drives and go with a redundancy raid setup, or keep all media on an extra set of extetnal hdds (what I do)

export hdd: yes, send your exports to another disc. any 130mb/s or more hdd will do. This isn’t necessary but it does give a very slight improvement in export speeds.

now this was a amd/intel thread and I’m still looking for an answer..

• 33. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                                                          Fizzlefest Level 2

According to the system requirements for the October 2018 release, only Intel chips are supported?  No more AMD?

"Intel® Intel 6thGen or newer CPU"

Full list of system requirements...

Adobe Premiere Pro CC System Requirements

• 34. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                                                            RjL190365 Level 5

Actually, or an AMD Ryzen equivalent. Earlier AMD CPUs such as the FX series may not run Premiere Pro CC 2019 properly or at all.

• 35. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                                                              metalvinny Level 1

I've got an AMD Ryzen 1700x and I've had nothing but problems with Premiere and After Effects. Everything works fine on my machine EXCEPT those programs. When editing on two monitors, the display monitor just displays a white screen with no video playback. For the moment, I'm back to one monitor. An adobe engineer spent 2 hours remoting into the pc and could not figure out why. The workaround he discovered was to login to the system with the administrator user and not my user profile. That has since stopped working. Get intel.

• 36. Re: Intel or AMD?
                                                                                gigeli82367597 Level 1

It happens on Intel too, the two monitor setup is complicated, i had the problem of having to show the desktop ( click in bottom right corner button ) then display premiere so i could use the program.

Now i don't have this problem but i didn't changed Premiere, just drivers.

The rule with this editing software is if it works, don't change it, i'll stick with 2018 premiere until i finish everything, then i'll try new versions.