Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table Spanning Across Two Columns Help

Contributor ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am quite new to InDesign and need help with Tables. I cannot figure out how to span a table across a two-columns layout (see ref below). I've looked into the Tables options and I don't any options, and I use the Span column option in the paragraph style but no luck. Could anyone tell me what did I miss? Appreciate in advance!

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 8.14.16 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not clear from your screenshot where the cursor is. To have the table span columns, make sure that you select the paragraph that holds the table.

But you should be cautious with this. I've had no end of trouble with spanning tables using the table's parent paragraph's span settings -- paragraph column spanning is fragile, to say the least. You often end up with bad compositions or crashes. It's much safer to place those tables in separate text frames with text wrap applied.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you kindly pkahrel. I will take your advice and apply it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd guess it is your cursor position. Place your cursor on the ¶ directly above the table (which I assume is embedded in the story) and tap the right or down arrow. Your cursor will now be on the ¶ with the table:

InDesign CCss_007.png

Then set up the span. (I highlighted the last word above the table in magenta so that you can track it):InDesign CCss_008.png

But, this produces an awkward layout, and here is where InDesign falls short, IMHO. FrameMaker (Adobe's other page layout application) has table placement commands that allow you to put a spanned table at the top or bottom of the page automatically. You can simulate this by putting your table in an anchored frame in InDesign, activating text wrap and use anchoring controls to the same effect. It's not as simple, but it gets the job done.

InDesign CCss_010.png

Or if there aren't that many tables, you might just position them on the page, and pull up the text frames, and hope for the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Barb, I got the spanning to work after you specified the cursor placement. I will use anchored frame will text wrap as you suggest. Having a table as part of a story spanned across two columns in the middle of the page indeed does make an awkward layout. Hopefully table function will improve over the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with placing the table in an anchored frame is that text wrap on anchored frames works only if the frame is placed after the anchor. That means that the anchor should always be somewhere at the top of the left column -- in fact, you won't therefore be able to place the frame at the top of the page. If the text can reflow because of edits, the table might end up on a different page and the wrap might no longer be honoured. Those problems can be avoided by placing the table in a separate, unanchored, frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thank you for your insight. Indeed I ran into the problem you mentioned – the text wrap doesn't work on any text prior to the anchor point. With the limitation you described, is this line of thinking correct or is there a more efficient way:

1. I am working on a chapter that has 11 graphs and 2 tables.
  2. The sequence within the story is graph 1-8, table 1, graph 9, table 2, graph 10-11.
  3. I should complete graph 1 first, then place it in the same page where it is referenced in the story. Place the graph unanchored with text wrap and let the text reflow.
  4. Find in the story where graph 2 is referenced, then place the second graph in the same page with text wrap on. Let the text reflow.
  5. Continue in the same fashion as previous, and hope that in the future client won't have a big chunk cut off or add on to the body copy.

When you are working for a publication that has graphs and tables needed like this, how do you set them up? Or do you just avoid using columns altogether?

Thank you ever so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't matter whether a text is in one, two or more columns. I place all graphs and tables in separate frames in a separate document. In the text I mark all text references to tables and figures (see Fig. 1) -- if there are any -- with a condition so that they're easy to see (and you can set the condition to not print, so you can leave the conditions in the text). Then when the text is as good as done, I go through the document and when I see a reference to a figure of table, I place that item. And so on. Works well for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. Luckily in the body text the references are included. I use GREP to change their colors for easy reference for when I insert the tables / figures in the future. Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are working for a publication that has graphs and tables needed like this, how do you set them up? Or do you just avoid using columns altogether?

My InDesign docs tend to be on the shorter side (under 300 pages for the entire book) so I often use the last technique I recommended.... just manually place them on the page (in their own frames) and move when necessary. Sounds like Peter is on the same page. I also color code with a slightly different technique.

But I have the advantage of owning and knowing both of Adobe's page layout applications. As I mentioned previously, FrameMaker handles this quickly and easily, whereas you have to work at it in InDesign. I'm bringing this up again because if this ends up being just one of many issues arising in this document, it might be worth considering if InDesign is the best application for this publication. (If it's the only issue, then ignore the entire paragraph!)

Sounds like you are back on track. Happy weekend.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Barb. Currently I am working on a deadline and I'm afraid learning a new application like FrameMaker might consume too much of my required time. Will definitely study on FrameMaker after this project.

Have a pleasant weekend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm afraid learning a new application like FrameMaker might consume too much of my required time.

Yes, it would!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines