Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE migrated from windows to imac

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

A friend i setup a PC for some time ago has two catalogs under PSE15 organiser on windows 10 PC with 100s of albums 1000's of images

The windows pc is now old and needs replacement

His thinking of changing to Apple as he uses an iphone and ipad all the time now and dropped the camera

he uses the iphone 256GB and organises all the photo into albums on the iphone

On the windows pc - he used to import all photos from camera and uses PSE to organise the 1000's of images he has into albums

a recent Windows 10 upgrade and hardware crash meant he started created a new set of albums , but we found the old catelog and i got that working on the PC

so now he has 2 catalogs

I guess it would be good to merge those - but i will start a new thread for that

the windows 10 pc is now 6 years old and very slow - so hes thinking of a replacement

Apple would be a way to go for the future as all the images are now being taken on the iphone and his pretty much dropped using the camera

using albums on the iphone is easy and can be done on the train to work

then with Icloud photo library , they will all share all the albums onto all devices and also if he got a mac onto the imac

so the future looks easy

the past

windows 10 PSE and 2 catalogs

I could use PSE and make a backup of all the catalogs and then copy those and import onto

PSE on the mac

I assume i can backup and have two catalogs running on OSX PSE

but is there any way to get all the albums that he currently has on the windows PSE onto icloud.com

without a lot of work

so all the albums appear on the iphone and ipad

I don't really want to go the itunes route as that tends to lock the images into itunes and stops the use of icloud.com

any help welcome

thanks

Wayne

ETAF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I won't comment on the ease to work with an iPhone with Elements (I am only a Windows user), but in a few words, you should be aware that to be happy you'll have to forget about any Mac organization if you want to organize your library in Elements. You can either use the Elements editor as an external tool or bypass the Mac software to work directly on media files on your drives, not enclosed in the Mac library. I am confident expert Mac users will help you for that choice.

About merging catalogs:

Photoshop Elements 6/7/8 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Albums in the Organizer are lists kept in the catalog, like audio playlists. They are called 'collections' in old Elements versions as well as in Lightroom. I don't think you can easily transfer iPhone albums to the Organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry may have mis-informed

I not really worried about using PSE in the future - it was just the best tool in the past

Now that he has a

iphone/ipad and taking the photos on the iphone rather than a camera the apple photos apps , just works fine

so he can take a set of photos over a period and then create the album and organise the images - all very easily and quick

using icloud photo library - those images and album automatically appear on ipad for family viewing

But then to have the albums on a windows PC is a pain to sort out

But if he purchases a Mac , then the photos and albums via icloud will auto populate

any photos he takes on camera he can import on imac photos - put in albums and they automatacally upload and appear on iphone and ipad

so for the future it works really well and very easily

Use timemachine and a couple of harddrives to have a 3-2-1 backup strategy

BUT history

all the images and albums are setup using PSE

how can we convert them to work on imac with icloud

having PSE on the imac and backup - restore the ctalog will get the photos onto the imac and in the albums

the windows pc does not work and needs replacing - and the imac solution works with minimum effort for the future

Windows will use the icloud control panel - but not bring across the albums - so he will have to duplicate the albums in PSE

if he purchased a replacement windows pc

so its the past

Windows pc with PSE and ALBUMS structure

to get to work on icloud and transfer albums if possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines