Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

5K iMac 2017. AE and AI runing slow on the GPU :(

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all

My after effects + illusrator running unbearably slow on my new 5k iMac 2017, when i use the GPU.

The Specs are:

intel core i5 3.8Mh, 64 G-RAM, 2T Fusion drive, GPU: Radeon Pro 580)

Anyone have the same issue. or any solution?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to try Preferences>Previews, and under that, go to GPU information button, and change Ray Tracing from GPU to CPU. Then, in Display preference, turn off Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer and Footage Panels. Then, on Video Preview uncheck Enable Mercury Transmit.
(In Illustrator, you'd only have to be sure to deselect the little rocket icon in the Options bar)

IF that seems to help, perhaps that Radeon Pro 580 has too little video ram. You can try turning each option back on, one at a time and testing - maybe

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Radeon Pro 580 has 8 GB of VRAM, so that's not an issue here. To the OP, you don't say what you're doing at all in either program with the GPU. After Effects doesn't use the GPU for much right now, and it doesn't use AMD cards for the Ray Tracing 3D engine, that only works with CUDA cards.

Hardware Accelerate Panels should be on for best performance, but I've seen people have issues with it in the past.

What are you trying to use the GPU for in either program? If you're talking about GPU-accelerated effects then are you aware you need to enable GPU use in your Project Settings? You can find this under File>Project Settings>Video Rendering and Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing also many difficulties when using after effects CC 2017 with a new Imac 2017 core I7.

To be more specific, problems happens during rendering.

2 big issues so far :

- after effects crash during the render very often

- some glitches (looks like GPU glitches) appears on some frames during prores rendering (that make the rendered files unusable)

When rendering the very same compositions using my older imac 2011 or my macbook pro, I don't meet this issues.

@ Adobe team, I will start a new thread with mrore details, but do you have reports so far regarding this issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are User-to-User forums, and while Adobe employees will be seen here on occasion, this isn't the way to communicate with the development team. To do that you should file bugs and feature requests from here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

The dev team reads all bugs and if they need more info they will get back to you (make sure to include your email address). Be as specific as possible in your reports, take screenshots or screen recordings and offer to send them, along with project files (you can't attach files in the bug report form), and try to find a reproducible case. This will give the dev team the best chance of tracking down your problem.

To say Ae crashes during render very often isn't helpful. You need to narrow it down:

1) Does it crash on the same project or all projects often?

2) When it does crash is it happening on the same frame or could it be anywhere?

3) If crashes are occurring on the same frame then you have a problem there and can track it down easily. It could be an effect or something else causing the problem.

4) If you feel like you're having GPU glitches, which is not a specific description, switch to Software Only Rendering. Note that Ae doesn't use the GPU much, although it's uses are growing, so it might not be what you think.

That's just a short list of things to consider to help you write the most helpful bug report possible for the dev team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

You're right, I haven"t given yet enough information to solve my issues.

I am curious to know how things are going for the other users working on the new imac 2017 core I7 5K.

To sum up : after effects keep crashing during rendering on the new imac 2017 core i7 5K.

When rendering the same composition from the same AFX file on my other computers (imac 2011, macbook pro 2014), it's working as usual.

I'll be more specific when I'll have more time after finishing my current job. I quickly answer some of your  questions, I understand how consistent they are.

To say Ae crashes during render very often isn't helpful. You need to narrow it down:

1) Does it crash on the same project or all projects often?

So far on many compositions from the same AFX file. Need more time to push tests.

2) When it does crash is it happening on the same frame or could it be anywhere?

No it crashes randomly (composition and frame)

3) If crashes are occurring on the same frame then you have a problem there and can track it down easily. It could be an effect or something else causing the problem.

I understand, but no, that's not the issue I'm facing.

4) If you feel like you're having GPU glitches, which is not a specific description, switch to Software Only Rendering. Note that Ae doesn't use the GPU much, although it's uses are growing, so it might not be what you think.

Capture d’écran 2017-08-10 à 10.18.08.png

Here's the kind of glitch that randomly appear on the files I render (on the new imac 2017 5K only).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you guys.

#davidarbor, my After Effects is straggling when preview at full HD resolution. and when i Challenging the project with lots of Graphical calculations. In Illustrator, when i turn off the GPU symbol it works ok but only on the CPU, when the GPU is on the apple's wheel is going crazy for zoom in, shooting off a layer or any other action i trying to do there. I've herd that the Radeon Pro 580 is not supported by either The AE and AI but it seems to be weird...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Illustrator issues you should post a new thread in the Illustrator forums, you'll get better help there. If others have the same problems as you then they'll be able to chime in.

As for After Effects, again, the GPU isn't utilized a lot, so it depends on what you're doing. Your Radeon is supported for GPU-accelerated effects (you have to enable GPU-acceleration from the Project settings). The only thing that's it's not supported by is the old Ray-Traced 3D engine. As for previewing at full res? That's absolutely going to slow the machine down as your comp gets more complex. If you posted a screenshot or a project file or even described how many layers you're using and what you're trying to do (what effects, how many instances, etc.) then I could tell you if that's normal, but I'm going to assume you're doing too much to play back in real-time at full resolution. Try half res and also try caching your timeline before playing it back Window>Preview panel to control all those settings.

After Effects isn't designed to play all of your layers back in real-time. It's designed to handle all of your layers and compositing in a robust manner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi NettaL,

Sorry for this issue. Did you ever find a solution? Please let us know if you have or if you still need help.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar issues. Super slow 4k video processing when just adding simple things like text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm compositing two shots into one. Basically Stabilization, Rotoscoping, Camera Blur Match Grain and Lumetri Color. My 2017 Imac stuggles to preview the comp but nothing is being stressed, CPU, GPU, RAM, DISKS are alle basically idling... I'm using Mocha Pro for stabilization and Rotoscoping. The mattes are applied through the mocha pro effect instead of creating a AE mask. Source Material is Arri 3.2k Prores 4444 sitting on an SSD. I have another SSD for caching. I dom't understand why this is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

how did you configure the AMD GPU in the first place? Please assist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines