• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog Preview Quality and File Size?

Engaged ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use LR both on my Mac laptop and Mac desktops, though everything on my laptop is only there temporarily to view, prior to be transferring to the desktop. I want to delete everything from my laptop since everything has been transferred to the desktop.

Under Catalog Settings it indicates that my Preview Cache is 9GB, and my Standard Preview Size is set to Auto, Preview Quality is set to Medium.

1. How much of a difference does it make to increase the preview size and quality settings when editing photos in LR?

2. If I want to clear everything out of my Mac from LR that takes up space, is there anything else i should look for besides the .lrdata. and .lrcat files?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

southwestform  wrote

1. How much of a difference does it make to increase the preview size and quality settings when editing photos in LR?

I don't think it makes any difference when editing in the Develop module, because the Develop module view is continuously generated from the raw file plus the current adjustments.

southwestform  wrote

2. If I want to clear everything out of my Mac from LR that takes up space, is there anything else i should look for besides the .lrdata. and .lrcat files?

Also clea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

southwestform  wrote

I don't think it makes any difference when editing in the Develop module, because the Develop module view is continuously generated from the raw file plus the current adjustments.

southwestform  wrote

Also clear out the video cache, which can sometimes get very large if you've imported videos into Lightroom. On a Mac, the path is:

/Users/[your account name]/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/Video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

southwestform  wrote

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do. You could move your photos to an external disk to save space. You could also move the catalog and previews to an external disk to save space. But none of those are the same as (a phrase which isn't really clear to me) "clear everything out of my Mac".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I import photos and videos straight from the SD to my MacBook Pro to cull, make quick edits to send off, etc. I then move all these photos to the permanent location on my desktop Mac. Overtime, LR catalog files and other files get larger, since I do not need them on my MacBook Pro, I want to clear everything out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines