1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 7, 2017 10:05 AM by D.A.R

Export photos in sequence by Capture Time

Colin Winterbottom

I have made numerous imports of photos which I intend to make into time lapse sequences.  Unfortunately I renamed files on import to include a sequence number which does not reflect capture order (seems random).

I know i can sort them in the grid view by capture time, but how can I export them in capture time order? I've tried renaming them during export with a new sequence number hoping that number would reflect the sort order I've chosen for the view, but it does not.

Is there a direct way to make this export chronological order? Alternately I have seen some reference to renaming after import -- is there a rename scheme that would sequence by capture time? Or by the original file name (I have seen a video where J Kost implies the original filename from the camera is retained somewhere....).

It seems many applications would require chronological order be preserved (including HDR as well as time lapse). I understand the best workflow would have a name change only after import, but having made the mistake how do I backtrack?  And why doesn't Adobe let you define a sequence number relative to capture time or some other characteristic?  Seems an easy solve.

• 1. Re: Export photos in sequence by Capture Time
          D.A.R Adobe Community Professional

Upon Epxort you can use the time and date metadata to achieve a filename that will be sequential.

Create a preset first. Select an image a choose Library > Rename Photo.

Select the dropdown menu and choose Edit...

Use the tokens to create the filename template. Example:

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 1.02.44 PM.png

Then using the dropdown menu again choose "Save Current Settings As New Preset"

I named mine YYMMDD-H-M-S-001 to represent the style of the naming format.

When exporting your files choose the preset in the File Naming Section

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 1.05.07 PM.png