• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Won't Relink / Find Groups of Images. Have to Relink Each Image Individually.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 9.13.50 AM.jpg

I have a huge, very well organized catalog of photos for a big client (why I have some info blurred out). Although the LR catalog was organized, the photos were somewhat.

I had three locations for the images (desktop, G-drive, and another G-drive). All have the same folder structure with the exception of some subfolders that varied in name slightly. Image names never changed. A mess I know.

I recently moved all of the photos, removing duplicates, to one location on my desktop. The way I will keep it. The folder structure that I use is in the Lr catalog you see on the left, and this is how I have the folder structure on my desktop with the raw, original images.

The Problem:

When I go back to relink the images, some will relink every image I have selected in that collection by finding just the first image in that group and then the rest will be discovered (what I want).

Other folders I have to relink each individual image even though they are in the same catalog and all the originals are in the same folder (problem).

-the names of the photos have not been changed

-the images might have been pulled from different drives and folders before, but other groups have relinked just fine.

I have discovered it will relink all the same file types at the same time, but not a mixture (jpeg,tiff,CR2). Though this trick does not work with those.

I’ve tried everything. And I really don’t want to relink 2,000 images individually. Any speedbumps I might be missing?

Really appreciate any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

I am not surprised this is happening inside of a collection.

It will not happen if you re-link a folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not surprised this is happening inside of a collection.

It will not happen if you re-link a folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't say I am trying to relink a folder. I would select one image to find, relink it, and then LR would usually find the others missing that happen to be in that folder around it. But some it will find them, others you have to find/point to each individual image. If that makes sense. They are acting like I changed the file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if you have selected a Collection (as in your screen capture), I am not surprised by this behavior of LR.

You have to open a folder, then select a photo in that folder and re-connect, it should find all "nearby" photos in that folder to reconnect automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry if my screen capture was misleading. The collection is selected because that is the one that I happen to be looking in.

I am doing the process that you are describing and having the issue where it will not find all "nearby" photos. The same thing happens if I am looking in "All Photographs", "Missing Photographs", any option.

I would highlight the missing images (like the image below) and selected the "!" icon on the first image of the selection, then reconnect that image. And usually all of the other images selected and unselected would be reconnected. But with some it will not find nearby images whether I have multiple images selected or just one.

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 10.40.01 AM.png

I hope I cleared my process description up a bit better. I've used Lightroom for years, and never run into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doing the process that you are describing and having the issue where it will not find all "nearby" photos. The same thing happens if I am looking in "All Photographs", "Missing Photographs", any option.

I notice you did NOT say that you have selected a folder and then tried this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While your collection is showing you the errors, you cannot fix the problem from the collection. You must fix the problem from the Folders panel.

Lightroom knows the difference between missing files and files in missing folders. You first need to fix the missing folders in the Folders panel, then fix any remaining missing files.

Until you fix the missing folders problem, there is nothing you can do in the Collections panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines