Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2017 freezes every few actions

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am running InDesign CC 2017 on a Mac mini, Mac Sierra 10.12.6.

The programme freezes and my cursor turns into the spinning wheel every couple of actions or so. Regardless of whether it's text, moving an object, re-sizing, literally anything makes it freeze. It comes back again after half a minute or so but it's extremely frustrating making it impossible to work.

I've searched the forums and tried:

• Turning off all Type Contextual Controls
  • Turning off GPU Performance
  • Taking my file off a server and working locally

None of this fixes work for me. It would be very problematic to downgrade to InDesign CC 2015 as I have re-saved all my work files in the new 2017 file format.

Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Just to update: The solution was that the cloud server I was working from was using a client that downloaded files to my computer, taking up three quarters of my hard drive space. When I changed the client to a drive instead, the space was freed up and InDesign is now running smoothly again. Though this solved the problem, I am still unhappy that InDesign was unable to function properly in this situation - there was still space on my hard drive and this shouldn't be an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you updated to CC2017.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just one specific document but all documents. I've also tried re-installing InDesign, resetting preferences, etc. No change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the system specs for that Mini? How many operating system upgrades have you done?

Some speed up tips for ID:

Turn off pages panel thumbnails

Close the info panel

Turn off live preflight

Be sure that live screen redraw is set to delayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB

Flash storage hard drive with 50GB space

Thanks for the tips, I tried them and it seemed to improve for around an hour (though still intermittently freezing) but now it's getting much worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to update: The solution was that the cloud server I was working from was using a client that downloaded files to my computer, taking up three quarters of my hard drive space. When I changed the client to a drive instead, the space was freed up and InDesign is now running smoothly again. Though this solved the problem, I am still unhappy that InDesign was unable to function properly in this situation - there was still space on my hard drive and this shouldn't be an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines