2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2017 10:24 AM by Szalam

After Effects CC 2017 Ray Trace 3D constant crashing

davidc10858053

So I have a reasonably complicated project - several extruded shapes, text and some particles, camera moves etc etc.

Constant crashing when I try to render - I've tried rendering image sequences, used the Secret menu, different formats - I've slimmed down the project and pre-rendered a load of elements, but its still so incredibly unstable. It'll render 1 frame and then crash... re-open, render 1 more frame, crash.... rinse and repeat.

I'm using a pretty high spec machine -

Windows 10

Intel Dual Xeon V3

64GB ram

GeForce Titan X

All drivers and versions are up to date.

The only plugins I use in After Effects are Animation Composer and Trapcode.

Rendering in C4D or Classic 3D is fine. But I need Ray Trace for this project.

The reason this is extra frustrating is that After Effects CC 2015 on the same machine was solid as a rock with VERY similar projects - it just never crashed.

Any ideas?

I seriously think that the Ray Trace 3D option is no longer a priority for Adobe to optimise - they want to push us all towards this integrated C4D stuff - which is very stable, but when pre-comp transparencies and dof don't work, it limits your options to add finesse to a project.

Thanks all.

• 1. Re: After Effects CC 2017 Ray Trace 3D constant crashing
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ray-traced rendering is deprecated, never worked well, and should not be used in 2017. It depends on NVIDIA technology to work well but it never worked well in the first place. If you must extrude or bend a layer then you should be using the C4D rendering option. It works a lot better.

Both rendering options disable a bunch of features like effects, blend modes, and other tools that you may need. Be sure that you read the warnings and make the appropriate workflow adjustments.

There are only a few differences between Ray-traced rendering and C4D rendering if you are on the latest builds of AE. You just have to work around things like blend modes and the other unsupported features. Depth of field can be simulated using an expression that looks at the distance between the camera and the layer and a pre-comp.

You have a lot more options if you create your 3D shapes using Cineware and C4D Lite that comes with AE. Extruding and bending are clunky at best even with Ray-traced rendering.

• 2. Re: After Effects CC 2017 Ray Trace 3D constant crashing
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

davidc10858053  wrote

I seriously think that the Ray Trace 3D option is no longer a priority for Adobe to optimise

You are correct! See this and note the date: http://motionworks.net/after-effects-3d-future/