1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 9, 2017 9:53 AM by kerrishotts

Phonegap desktop & Phonegap CLI And Phonegap Developer

CreativeArtDesign Level 1

Hi, i have read how to add an plugin to Phonegap CLI but still have questions i can not find.

I wonder if you can make it more clear to me as a beginner how bo be able to add an plugin to Phonegap.

What i understand is:

Question 1:

Add with CLI command

Phonegap plugin add <plugin name>

Okej I do that but what will work and what will not work?

Can i use Phonegap Desktop now?

Can i use Phonegap Developer now?

Or?

Question 2:

Manual install is it only to copy the folder to the plugin and add a line in to config.xml?

Okej I do that but what will work and what will not work?

Can i use Phonegap Desktop now?

Can i use Phonegap Developer now?

Or?

Question 3:

If i add thees plugins can I use Phonegap desktop to run it will it work?

Or must Phonegap Desktop rebuild and if so how to do it?

I heard or got an answer that i need to rebuild the Phonegap Desktop to get it work on phone gap developer ?

Thees questions i have wondered about for a long time. Because i only working in Phonegap desktop it is more easy than cli commands .

Will it not able to add plugins from the Phonegap desktop in future?

And the important of all can i use Phonegap developer on my project for both cli and Phonegap desktop to test the plugin?

This is not clear to me.

• 1. Re: Phonegap desktop & Phonegap CLI And Phonegap Developer
          kerrishotts Adobe Employee

As long as you're using PhoneGap Developer, it doesn't really matter what you do on the CLI side or the PhoneGap Desktop side. PhoneGap Developer as distributed from the app store will only work with the plugins that were bundled with it at the time it was built (IIRC, plugins and versions are specified in the release notes). This includes all first-party core plugins and a (very) few third-party plugins. No matter what you add to your config.xml, PhoneGap Developer won't recognize additional plugins. (It won't read your config.xml at all, for that matter.)

If you want PhoneGap Developer to support additional plugins, you'll need to clone the PhoneGap Developer repository and follow the instructions to configure it (GitHub - phonegap/phonegap-app-developer: PhoneGap Developer App ) and then add the plugins you want to support. Then you can deploy the PhoneGap Developer to your devices and use it as you always have. (Bonus: if you build it locally, you can debug it with Safari / Chrome too!)