• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3d extruded smart object needs editing in photoshop cc 2017

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a smart object that I 3d extruded in photoshop cc 2017 and now need to edit the smart object or edit source. When I do, the 3d layer does not update. Can anyone help me with this? I also have different versions in my smart object that I would like to use with the extrusion i set up. Is this possible?

[Moved from the Lounge (which is where you can "connect with your peers" from across all of Adobe's products for conversations that don't directly relate to help and support) to a product-specific support forum by a moderator.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Hi

I am unclear what you are trying to achieve.

If you want the object to change shape when you switch layers within the smart object then do what I showed with the text layers.

If however you want the object to stay the same shape but to have different textures when you switch layers in the smart object then you just need to Edit the diffuse texture and put your smart object as a layer in that texture psb file.

If you want both then do both the above.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can be a bit tricky, depending on how you've constructed your 3D object. Can you send a screen shot showing your layers panel, and also the fully exploded 3D panel showing the meshes in the 3D layer?

Ideally, it would help if you had the extrusion mesh selected and also included the properties panel in your screen shot.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Michael,

Do you see the comment I made for Dave above? That is what I am trying to accomplish. I am strong in photoshop but not in 3d. I will show the steps I am taking with screenshots.Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 9.14.07 AM.png

Starting with three patterns that will fill the screen on the laptop. The three patterns will be a smart object on a background. I will extrusion selected layer and have a copy of the layer for backup.

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 9.24.34 AM.png

I have put it into position where I like it. BTW, I like the way 3d controls are vs transform. That's why I chose to work this way.Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 9.27.28 AM.png

The coordinate position is what i want to use for different versions. The only thing besides copying the values and entering them in a million times for every version, I'd like to position it once and create versions based upon my smart objects.Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 9.37.22 AM.png

I even tried to save an extrusion preset to apply and no result.

Does this make any sense and do you see a solution I am completely overlooking?

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

In the example below I made an extrusion from a smart object which contained  two text layers ABC and DEF

For the initial extrusion I just have ABC turned on and the second text layer DEF turned off.

This gives :

Go to the properties and Edit source opens a psb with the source. That PSB has a single layer with the smart object

Double clicking the smart object opens a second psb (the original smart object) with the two text layers

I reverse those layers so now DEF shows:

and close and save both psbs:

Of course the mesh has changed but the material UV was only blue in the shape of the original text - so I also need to edit  the front inflation diffuse material  :

I hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dave,

I am pretty sure you showed success with text layers, but, I needed to find

out if it can be done with smart objects containing images, not text. Can I

use your method with text and fill it with an image. Say like a letter I

big enough to hold an image?

What I am trying to accomplish is taking a smart object image and match a

position on a background layer. Once the image is in place, I would like to

go into the smart object, edit source, and turn off the layer and reveal a

different layer, saving and then going back to the 3d element with the same

position.

Does that make sense? It's sort of like without 3d, a smart object and

transform it into position. When I have multiple versions, I can go into

the smart object and reveal a different layer. Saving and the transformed

smart object retains it transformation. I'd like to do the same in 3d after

extrusion from selected layer.

Thank you,

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am unclear what you are trying to achieve.

If you want the object to change shape when you switch layers within the smart object then do what I showed with the text layers.

If however you want the object to stay the same shape but to have different textures when you switch layers in the smart object then you just need to Edit the diffuse texture and put your smart object as a layer in that texture psb file.

If you want both then do both the above.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand from discussion the goal is to change object in 3D scene by changing smart object layers (each of them is different pattern) and keep coordinates and meshes unchanged for each pattern?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Ares, that is what I want to achieve. I will try Dave's suggestion now and see if it's the result I want.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that I can Edit the diffuse texture and add my smart object there as Dave suggested. And, it seems I can only change my image/pattern using the "product copy for inflation material" layer, then, use the edit texture to change whatever image/pattern I need and save.

Wow, Thank you all for this help. I do appreciate it very much!

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines