Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom creates keywords duplicates

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, dear Lightroom experts!

I'm using Lightroom for a long time. The catalog I'm working now I was previously used on Mac (current version of LR CC).

Now I switched to Lightroom CC 2015.12 on Windows10. In this catalog I have a large amount of keywords in strong hierarchy.

When I add new photos to existing folder (of courese, using LR interface, not moving files in OS file manager), I then sync keywords with existing photos, using Sync Metadata button in Library module. Previosly this worked very fine, I had the same keywords on old and new photos.

But now, when I use this scenario, I'm getting duplictes of some (not all) keywords. The duplicates has it's own hierarchy, it is the same as original.

I also tried to copy old photo's keywords fromkeywording pane and past it to the keywording pane for a new photo whith the same result (keywords are duplicted in the keyword list). Also I tried to copy metadata with Metadata menu with the same result. When the copy metadata window appears, there are not all kewords in the keyword field.

I don'tknow if it matters, but my keyword list is in Russian.

Does anyone have the same issue?

May be any thoughts?

Thank You for Your attention.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

I have found the reason myself. The problem is because of using Cyrilic characters in keywords (I've told earlier, they are in Russian). After renaming keywords with Latin characters metadata synchronisation works fine. It is Lightroom bug. I don't know exactly is it new or Windows-specific. This catalog was created in Lightroom for Mac in 2014 and metadata syncronisation with Cyrilic worked normaly until april-2017. Earlier I worked with Win-based Lightroom using Russian keywords and never had

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a screen capture of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2017-08-09 14_20_10-work - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2017-08-09 14_26_09-work - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2017-08-09 14_29_49-work - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library-3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1101947  wrote

2017-08-09 14_29_49-work - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library-3.png

With regards to this screen capture, if you scroll up a little bit so you can see the top of the Keywording Panel, there is a dropdown menu which let's you select how to display keywords, and it may be it has been set to "Show Containing Keywords". Try some of the other options in that dropdown menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2017-08-09 14_34_34-work - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library-4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1101947  wrote

2017-08-09 14_34_34-work - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library-4.png

It is possible that these are not spelled exactly the same, perhaps there is a trailing blank on one but not on the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You, dj_paige. I have checked the keywords spelling  It is exaxtly the same, there are no trailing spaces. But not all keywords in this group are duplicates. The "rule" for creating duplicates is unknown. Here is the view of keywording pane in Enter Keywords mode. In Keywords & Containings Keywords they are also different for old and new photos. But in Will Export mode they are the same.

2017-08-09 15_11_55-work - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library-5.png

2017-08-09 15_13_26-work - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library-6.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found the reason myself. The problem is because of using Cyrilic characters in keywords (I've told earlier, they are in Russian). After renaming keywords with Latin characters metadata synchronisation works fine. It is Lightroom bug. I don't know exactly is it new or Windows-specific. This catalog was created in Lightroom for Mac in 2014 and metadata syncronisation with Cyrilic worked normaly until april-2017. Earlier I worked with Win-based Lightroom using Russian keywords and never had problems. It would be interesting if someone could test this issue with other non-Latin characters on different platforms. I hope this information will help anybody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please file a bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all bugs and feedback posted: Photoshop Lightroom | Photoshop Family Customer Community . If you post an extact step-by-step recipe for reproducing the bug, then Adobe is much more likely to fix it.  In general, without such a detailed recipe, they usually don't take the time to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is a very old thread, but just had I think the same issue myself. Catalog originally created on Windows, with some non-ASCII characters, and some people names (which are also keywords) started being duplicate once moving the catalog to Mac. I believe this is due to the NFC/NFD Unicode representation, where Mac and Windows store strings differently - they are the same visually, but different in encoding. Renaming to same doesn't work, you have to rename A -> B -> A in order for the encoding to update in all photos. Thanks to this thread, the solution was obvious, so here's my upvote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines