13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2017 6:49 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Image viewer

mohamads92469382 Level 1

Hi

I have windows 10 based laptop and Im not that happy with photo app from microsoft. I have inquiry before I buy adobe products.

Can I make photoshop CC or lightroom as the default image viewer and editor in windows, do they have the ability to view images not just for editing purposes, because I couldnt find any straight answer in google so I thought to ask here

Thanks

• 1. Re: Image viewer
          Michael J. Hoffman Adobe Community Professional

Hi Mohamad,

No, I don't think you'd want to use either of these programs to be your default image viewer. Photoshop is a very heavyweight editor, takes awhile to load, and is designed for editing, not fast viewing. Trying to use it as a viewer would be like driving a truck to get from one side of the room to the other.

Lightroom is not an option at all - you import your images with Lightroom's internal database, and manage the images there. Lightroom can only open a Lightroom catalog directly, you can't open a JPG or other image file straight into LR without going through the import process.

Adobe Bridge, which comes with Photoshop, is a good file browser in and of itself, and it is a good replacement for Windows Explorer when you're browsing folders of images. But I wouldn't want to make it the default app to open in image file.

You can try to Google "replacement for windows photo viewer" and you'll see a number of possible alternatives, and can compare the features. In most cases, you'll find that image programs are not as lightweight as the Windows photo viewer.

Mike

• 2. Re: Image viewer
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What does the Photos app not do that you wish it would do?

I wouldn't want Photoshop or Lightroom to be my default for images. They take much longer to load than the Photos app does.

Also, Photoshop is not good for flipping through a bunch of photos. That is to say, you can't really do it. You can flip through a bunch of photos in Lightroom, but you need to import them first for that to work. Bridge is the Adobe software that you might want to use. You can use it to browse through all kinds of files. Again, though, I wouldn't use it as the default app to open something.

Remember, you have a 7 day trial of any of Adobe's software to see if it works for you. Be advised that Photoshop and Lightroom are professional grade products and there is something of a learning curve for both of them. There are plenty of useful getting started tutorials here at Adobe.com

• 3. Re: Image viewer
              mohamads92469382 Level 1

Thanks for the reply guys. when I import images in windows photo app. It shows me the extension of the image not a preview for it so I can choose to import it or not, attached file. This is the issue, otherwise the app have nice editing interface and organization for photo plus other features and the cool look for it.

otherwise what are your suggestions for viewer and editor or app with extensions for the editor like PS CC.

Thanksscreen.jpg

• 4. Re: Image viewer
                Myra Ferguson Adobe Community Professional

I see you say both "image viewer and editor." Like Michael and Szalam mentioned, there are a number of reasons why you wouldn't want to use Photoshop as merely an image viewer in and of itself, but yes, you can set it as your default editor. In Windows, you would need to associate whichever file types you'd want to open in Photoshop. That being said, you could associate .jpg with Photos and .psd with Photoshop. And even if you do associate a file type with an app, you can right-click on it from Windows Explorer and "Open with" something else in the context menu that appears.

• 5. Re: Image viewer
                  Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I use Adobe Bridge to view files and organize photos.

Digital asset management software | Download free Adobe Bridge CC trial

• 6. Re: Image viewer
                    Thai Nhat

Thanks

• 7. Re: Image viewer
                      mohamads92469382 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, I download it but may I ask if I can connect PS CC, lightroom to it as editors. I havent used it before so I dont know much about the app.

• 8. Re: Image viewer
                        Myra Ferguson Adobe Community Professional

If you are viewing your photos in Adobe Bridge and decide you'd like to edit one, you can right-click on it to Open, Open With (select application--in this case Photoshop), or Open in Camera Raw. While the image (or group of images) is selected, you can go to the Tools menu down to Photoshop and choose from a selection of processes to run.

• 9. Re: Image viewer
                          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

I use Adobe Bridge to view files and organize photos.

Digital asset management software | Download free Adobe Bridge CC trial

I'll add a me too to that.  Bridge is an excellent image viewer.  You can rate your images, order them manually and rename in the new order. View full screen, or two up, four up etc.  We use it to select image sets for inter club photo competitions, and it makes it a breeze.

As well as rename, you have other tools like merge to HDR, panorama, or load into Photoshop layers.  You can customise the workspace, and use multiple different workspaces.  It's biggest let down is that it does not you make good use of multiple monitors, and that's a huge issue.

• 10. Re: Image viewer
                            grahamnt

There are actually so many choices for the best image editor and this includes Adobe Bridge. Aside from that, my daughter use  a PhotoViewerPro for excellent images and editing.

• 11. Re: Image viewer
                              mohamads92469382 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, is it the same as ACDSee pro 10 becuse when I downladed the file, it open it

• 13. Re: Image viewer
                                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Yes, I like Irfanview.  It has been around for a long time, and is what I used to use for renaming and file conversion before I decided Bridge was the way to go.

Another one that a lot of people I know swear by is FastStone.  It's like Windows File Explorer on steroids, and a useful way to do your Digital Asset Management.  The Nelson Camera Club (across the hill from me) uses it to display their competition images, for whatever that is worth.

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter