Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hebrew in new version 2017.012.20093

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have problem with new release 2017.012.20093. When I open a file on hebrew in the application it look good. But If I sent the file to a printer hebrew words flips over.

It true for PDF version 1.5 (Acrobat 6.x). If I opened a file version 1.4 (Acrobat 5.x) it showen correct.

Windows 7/10 64 bit

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Hi Alex,

Thanks for providing the files.

My findings:

• Under the Spring 2017 version of Acrobat, I could not reproduce the problem on any printer including those with Adobe PostScript 3 drivers or with the Windows 10 XPS or FAX drivers for the V1.5.pdf file.

• Under the most recent, Summer 2017 version of Acrobat, I could not reproduce the problem on any printer with Adobe PostScript 3 drivers, but I did reproduce the problem when printing to the Windows 10 XPS or FAX drivers for the V1.5.pdf file (nei

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of printer are you sending this to? Printer model and PDL (page description language - PCL, PostScript, etc.?) please!

I personally tried printing a Hebrew PDF file (PDF 1.7) to a Phaser 7500 Adobe PostScript 3 printer with the latest Acrobat update and did not experience the symptoms you are describing.

It might also assist us if you could post your sample PDF files (both PDF 1.5 and PDF 1.4) for us to reproduce your problem.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dov!

I tried in different printers HP OfficeJet Pro 6960, HP OfficeJet 7000, Cannon Laser printer. I didn't try to print PDF 1.7, but for PDF version 1.5 (Acrobat 6.x) this problem exist.

Also the version 1.4 (Acrobat 5.x)  work correct.

I think it depend from PDF file version.

I'll  sent you pdf v.1.4, 1.5 on Sunday for test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking forward to seeing your files. There shouldn't (famous last words) be any difference in terms of printing based on the PDF version since the printing code in Acrobat doesn't even look at that as a factor for determining what and how the document prints. And I have now tried printing a PDF 1.5 file with Hebrew and again, no problems on my systems with my printers.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov

I send you links to the versions:

v1.5

V1.5.pdf - Google Drive

v1.4

1.4.pdf - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex,

Thanks for providing the files.

My findings:

• Under the Spring 2017 version of Acrobat, I could not reproduce the problem on any printer including those with Adobe PostScript 3 drivers or with the Windows 10 XPS or FAX drivers for the V1.5.pdf file.

• Under the most recent, Summer 2017 version of Acrobat, I could not reproduce the problem on any printer with Adobe PostScript 3 drivers, but I did reproduce the problem when printing to the Windows 10 XPS or FAX drivers for the V1.5.pdf file (neither of those drivers are PostScript).

• I did try resaving the V1.5.pdf file as a PDF 1.4 file (see attached file V1.5 - Reduced to V1.4.pdf). The printing issues still exist! The issue apparently has nothing to do with the PDF version, but rather the contents of the specific file itself. Note that the V1.5.pdf file.

• I did notice that the V1.5.pdf file had no identification as to what created it. Very unusual:

Screen What.png

• I then tried to see if there was anything defective with the particular PDF file itself. I ran the Fix potential font problemsprofile under PDF Fixups in the Prepress, Color, and Transparency group of Acrobat Preflight profiles with the following results:

Screen Fixup.png

• Clearly, whatever created this PDF file didn't properly create the PDF file in terms of providing proper font encoding and providing ToUnicode CMAPs, all necessary for properly determining that particular content is in Hebrew. (I have attached the Preflight Report file, V1.5 - Font Fixes_report.pdf for your examination.)

• The file resulting from running the Preflight fixup (see attached file V1.5 - Font Fixes.pdf) has no trouble printing at all.

The bottom line is that the original V1.5.pdf file was defective in construction (fonts and encodings). It had nothing to do with it being PDF 1.5. Yes, it does print correctly on PostScript devices. And for some reason it did print OK on earlier Acrobat/Reader releases (or at least the Spring 2017 release), but non-PostScript drivers are fairly sensitive to encoding issues and it is likely that one or more fixes in the Summer 2017 release to fix other printing issues on non-PostScript printer required us to be more machmir in terms of providing proper coding information to the driver.

The real fix is to fix whatever is producing these bogus PDF files.

Please advise if you have further questions!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Dov!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines