2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2017 12:20 PM by RLaw59

Edit thumbnail shows with exclamation point - file missing

RLaw59 Level 1

A subfolder holding the original files has "lost" the edits. The edit thumbnails exist in the main folder, but display the "!" indicating the the file cannot be found - obviously when originally edited the files were in the same subfolder with only the edited image showing. I did not move files, I did not change storage, and I did not shut down abnormally.

I'm assuming that I'll never recover the edits because when I try to locate the file (the one showing the edits and the "!") it indicates that it is assigned to another image (the original file). I'm I correct the edits are lost? Any chance to recover? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Edit thumbnail shows with exclamation point - file missing
          dj_paige Level 9

If you're edits are in Lightroom, you WILL be able to fix this.

Most likely what has happened is that you have (accidentally?) imported the file twice, once with the COPY option, and so Lightroom thinks the file is where you accidentally copied it to. If you search your entire catalog for this file name, you ought to find two copies of this image, one which is missing but has your edits and one which is NOT missing and has no edits.

Before we continue, confirm that this is the case. Search your entire catalog by performing all four of these steps:

1. Click on All Photographs
          2. Expand all Stacks
          3. Turn off Filters
          4. search by file name using the Filter Bar

Also,

I did not move files, I did not change storage, and I did not shut down abnormally.

While I would like not to contradict you, Lightroom says you did one of these things.

• 2. Re: Edit thumbnail shows with exclamation point - file missing
            RLaw59 Level 1

Well, nothing was moved. However, I searched for the missing files and that crated a catalogue of the items. Searched for those and verified that they were not on the drive. After a test "removal" of an image (to ensure that the original file would not be removed or deleted) I proceeded to remove all of the files. Returning to the subfolder with the original files, all of the edits suddenly populated the folder.

So, again, nothing was moved. Strange behavior but all worked out.