4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2017 9:02 AM by g4gn0n

Trouble Releasing Android App

g4gn0n

Hello all. I currently have my app completely designed already. Beyond my knowledge of basic HTML/CSS/JS I don't know much about coding or the process of releasing an application.

I used PhoneGap to put together the debug version of my apk. I tried following the instructions in the documentation Phonegap has but I keep running into problems and then find myself trying to figure things out on my own and trying things but that only takes me to new problems.

I need to understand and figure out these "keys" "keytools" and "signing" things. I understand that it is a security measure for releasing the application to the Play Store but I can't figure out how to do it or the best practices when doing it.

I tried installing the Java stuff like it says when I do research and then adding "JAVA_HOME" and putting in some sort of new path but it keeps saying "invalid internal or external command" when I do this. Maybe I did that wrong. Is there a solution to this? Is this even the right step that I am up to? Would anyone be willing to guide me on what to do from here?

I am usually decent with this type of stuff but for some reason I am just so frustrated that I have this app created and just can't figure out how to release it. Any information would help. I know I am screwing myself up somewhere but I can't help it and it is definitely disheartening.

Other Information:

I obtained a "certificate" from my Google Developer account with a few lines of data. I am not sure how that plays in or if I need it at all.

I am using Windows 10.

My application is HTML/CSS/JS.

I used Phonegap for the debug apk.

I downloaded Java and the JDK things from the website.

• 1. Re: Trouble Releasing Android App
          kerrishotts Adobe Community Professional

It would help to know exactly what steps you've tried, and what issues you ran into so we know what you've tried and where you're encountering issues.

• 2. Re: Trouble Releasing Android App
            g4gn0n Level 1

Hey Kerri. I went into "Environment Variables" like listed on here:

Installingthe JDK Software and Setting JAVA_HOME (Using the GlassFish ESB Installation CLI)

JAVA_HOME was not listed there by default so I created it under "System Variables" and then pointed it to where I had the "keytool" file I got after I installed Java and the JDK.

After entering: (with my actual app name instead of appname)

"keytool -genkey -v -keystore appname.keystore -alias appname -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000"

it returned the result:

'keytool' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Since I essentially have no idea what I am doing I am not too sure what other info is useful. Just let me know and I will try to supply anything that might help. Thank you!

• 3. Re: Trouble Releasing Android App
              kerrishotts Adobe Community Professional

First, you shouldn't use the path of the keytool utility -- you need the path of the Java installation instead. That would look something like:

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_102

Second, updating JAVA_HOME is not sufficient for you to be able to type "keytool" and have it be recognized; the PATH also needs to be updated. Add the above path + "\bin;" to the front of your PATH variable. It should look something like this:

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_102\bin;<rest of PATH>

Third, you need to close all command prompts; open command prompts won't receive the updated environment variables.

Open a NEW command prompt, and then enter the "keytool" command. It should run and generate your key.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Trouble Releasing Android App
                g4gn0n Level 1

I really appreciate your help and time. My app is on the Play Store now!