You could Find/Change to locate specific formatting in text and change it, and even apply different paragraph/character styles to text this way if needed.
- Choose Edit > Find/Change
- Click More Options to see the full Find/Change dialog box
- Leave the Find what and Change to fields empty and click on the Specify attributes to find icon.
- In the Find Format Settings dialog box, select the character formatting you want to search for in the text. For example a 'Bold' font style part of Basic Character Formats. Click OK. Click Done.
- To change this formatting to something else, click Specify attributes to change icon, and similar to Find Format Settings, you can ow opt to apply a character or paragraph style, or change the character formatting to preferred settings. Click OK. Click Done.
- Once you've set the Find/Change options, you can Change All occurrences across a Story, Document etc.
If you select Shift, (whilst in InDesign) and then File > Place (Cmd + D) and select your Word document it will bring up the Microsoft Word Import Options dialogue box and from there you can select Preserve Styles and Formatting from Text and Tables, and other facilities, such as replacing Word styles with InDesign styles after a file has been placed.