Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy/paste "Hotkey" function for different layers

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone.

While editing a project I stumbled across this really annoying and time-consuming problem that if I wanted to copy/paste a text layer with a specific color, then I had to go all the way back in the timeline to the time I last used that layer.

As an example; I have 2 different colored text layers, blue and red. If I use the blue text layer for some time and then a few minutes later the red text layer for some time, and want to use the blue text layer again, then I'd have to go back in the timeline, to the last time I used it.

I only used text layers as an example for this, but it applies to everything else too, such as pictures, adjustment layers, etc.

Is it possible to give the different layers custom IDs so that you can choose which layers you want to copy/paste into the current time in the timeline?

I noticed that you could load and run scripts in After Effects, but I don't know JavaScript, and I'm pretty new to programming. (Been learning Python for a few months now.) So I don't think that would fix it unless a little extra help was provided.

I'm only asking because this literally could save me hours for every project I'm editing, and it sounds so simple that there might be an easy solution for this for some people.

Thanks for reading.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

There is no way to do actual copying and pasting natively. I don't know of any scripts that do that either.

However, you can save a layer as an animation preset. Then, as long as you don't have any other layers selected, you simply double-click that animation preset and you'll have a new layer with the same properties! So you can make one for each kind of text you need to make. And, if you want, you can even include animation and effects applied to that text.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple -- You want a blue text layer?  Copy-paste a blue text layer and change the text.  Boom.  Done.

If you've animated it, you have the option of resetting the layer's transform properties or modifying them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noooot quite the answer I was looking for, sorry.

This is really the best way I can explain it: Is it possible to give the different layers custom IDs, so that you can choose which layers you want to copy/paste into the current time in the timeline?

So, for example I give The red text layer the hotkey F1, so when I press F1 the red text layer appears on the time line as if it was copy/pasted. Then we could give the blue text layer the hotkey F2, so when I press F2 then the blue text layer appears on the timeline as if it was copy/pasted.

I use it in my videos where I translate what were saying from Danish to English, and each person has been given a color for when they're saying something. When I'm doing this I want to be extremely accurate, so that the text appears whenever I can see the audio levels for the video is rising. This means it has to be zoomed in almost all the way on the timeline to make it accurate enough. But then when the next guy says something, I have to zoom all the way out, and copy/paste the last text layer I had for that color, zoom all the way in again, and paste it so it fits with the audio level.

Example: Civilization V - Moments With Friends - Part 5 (Final) - YouTube

But thanks for your answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to do actual copying and pasting natively. I don't know of any scripts that do that either.

However, you can save a layer as an animation preset. Then, as long as you don't have any other layers selected, you simply double-click that animation preset and you'll have a new layer with the same properties! So you can make one for each kind of text you need to make. And, if you want, you can even include animation and effects applied to that text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Dovah+Viking  wrote

I have to zoom all the way out, and copy/paste the last text layer I had for that color, zoom all the way in again, and paste it so it fits with the audio level.

Why do you have zoom all the way out & back in to copy paste?  You should be selecting the layer in the layer panel, not the actual timeline.    I'm sorry but it sounds like you're just using some ridiculous workflow.  You shouldn't be selecting layers in the timeline anyway as you could accidentally move them while selecting.   Upload a video of you selecting & copy/pasting your layers so we can see what you're doing wrong.  Because it definitely sounds like you doing something in a very backwards way.   There's no reason to be zooming all the way out and then back in to copy paste a layer.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late response, selecting the layers in the layer panel and copy/pasting them, doesn't paste them at the current time in the timeline, but rather at the place in the timeline where it was copy/pasted from. I've been trying multiple different things now such as copy/pasting it when it's highlighted and when it isn't. Both with different results, but nothing that worked as intended. Even duplicating the layers didn't do what I wanted it to either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just hit the [ shortcut to move the pasted layers in-point to the CTI.    You could also pre compose each of the text layers so when you need them you just drag them from the project panel and hit the [ shortcut to move them to the CTI.   It should be simple enough unless you are not clearly describing what your trying to achieve apart from trying to assign a hotkey to a specific layer, which cannot be done.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using the [ and/or the ] shortcuts, but they don't seem to work at all. I even tried modifying the shortcuts to something else, making sure that there wasn't any shortcut like it, and still, nothing happens.

No warnings, no nothing. It just doesn't seem to do anything. It's like the function doesn't even exist in the first place for me.

HOWEVER, this shortcut is basically everything I need, and my problem is fixed (more or less at least)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Dovah+Viking  wrote

I tried using the [ and/or the ] shortcuts, but they don't seem to work at all.

That's strange.  Maybe your preferences file is damaged. 

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines