3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2017 8:37 AM by dougf67594612

Integrated graphics vs dedicated graphics card

dougf67594612

I use Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator & InDesign and want to buy a new PC (windows based). Looking at the Adobe system specs, it specifies that the system should have a graphics card with at least 1GB (2G recommended) of VRAM.

I don't use features that require a GPU for acceleration or features that won't work without a GPU, so I'm wondering if a PC with an integrated graphics adapter, e.g. AMD Radeon R7 Graphics. and more RAM, e.g. 12 or 16 GB, would be OK, or do I need a dedicated graphics card?

• 1. Re: Integrated graphics vs dedicated graphics card
          Terri Stevens Adobe Community Professional

You need to power integrated graphics somehow and the only alternative to the missing GPU is the computers CPU. Integrated graphics will do a reasonable job for web graphics, but start working with anything of multi-megabyte size and you'll quickly regret your choice. Photoshop uses GPU acceleration far more than you might think as it permits multiple threads of code to execute in parallel and that trend is bound to continue into the future. For example all the new blur functions use GPU acceleration as does Select and Mask. Given that graphics cards are not very expensive these days I would suggest going with a dedicated hardware solution.

• 2. Re: Integrated graphics vs dedicated graphics card
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think that should be fine, to begin with at least. I think most of the GPU-related features in Photoshop will still work. If you need to cut initial cost this is a good place to do it, since it's so easily upgradeable later if needed.

Spend the money on more RAM, which is good for Photoshop, and a faster CPU, which is good for Lightroom. You should also make sure you have a decent capacity SSD for system drive - 500GB and up. A lot of the applications' working files (caches and so on) sit under your user account on the system drive, so everything will benefit from that.

EDIT: cross-post, and my, cross-opinions there as well

• 3. Re: Integrated graphics vs dedicated graphics card
              dougf67594612 Level 1

thanks. I will take this approach, with the understanding that I will most

likely be buying a dedicated card at some point.