3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2017 12:27 AM by Test Screen Name

extract pages, make a flip book for proofing, Filemaker, ADBC

jrough Level 1

I want to extract pages from pdf and display the images  in an HTML container on a web site for  clients to see their photo books before purchasing. read through some discussions and found the script below  that extracts the  pages from a pdf. 

I can use jquery flipbook to flip the pages.  So the part I am not clear on is the Acrobat part extracting the pdf pages.

What I want to know is what version of Acrobat do I need in order to do this simple step?

I need to automate the whole process. I would need Javascript to Open Acrobat, then open the pdf, then extract the pages, then close acrobat.F

I would need Javascript to Open Acrobat, then open the pdf, then extract the pages, then close acrobat.

I don't want to use Flash to make a swf file for the flip book because it is not a permanent book.  It is only a proof and once approved can be deleted.  I just need to automate the process for all customers.  The site I am working on uses PHP and Filemaker.  I don't know if I need to store the images in Filemaker but maybe would be a good idea since the process may take some time.   I just need the images in an array in PHP.  I don't know if Acrobat ADBC can connect to Filemaker so the images can be stored in the customer records.  I could use the Filemaker PHP API to get the images back out of Filemaker and printed on my web site.

It is only a proof and once approved can be deleted after a month or so or after approval.

I just need to automate the process.

The site I am working on uses PHP and Filemaker.

I don't know if I need to store the images in Filemake for the temporary period but maybe would be a good idea since the process may take some time and should only be done once.   Not everytime the customer wants to look at his book.

I just need the images in an array in PHP but I guess I have to save the pages on the file system.   Tell me about how I can store these images?

They are photo images and text labels.    Storing on the file system seems like a problem that can't be avoided but what about storing the XML in

Filemaker? Can I   do SVG images instead of TIFFs?  It just seems more secure process to run this extracting routine and have the files available to my database or to mysql not on the filesystem.

I don't know if Acrobat ADBC can connect to Filemaker so the images can be stored in the customer records?  That may be a stretch.

I could use the Filemaker PHP API to get the images back out of Filemaker and printed on my web site.

Any thoughts of where to start?  I would say this should be done on PC because customer runs on PC but I am a Mac developer so I will do for both.

What else do I need for this script?  HOw to open and close Acrobat from Javascript?  Thanks, sorry this is long.

this.extractPages ({ nStart: 0, nEnd: 2, cPath: "/C/temp/myDocs/"+filename+"_abstract.pdf"