• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AI 2017 CC, Crashes on commands like Ctrl + X (cut)

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am facing this issue since a week, and have invested enough time in trying to rectify it through all the measures mentioned in your forums.

The file opens up , and the moment I have to cut an element from the keyboard shortcut, the AI crashes. It says "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Now I don't understand at all what the issue is and I am almost helpless.

I work for an MNC and the IT and software support staff here also are clueless about this now.

Really looking forward to resolution.

It is causing me to lose precious project time.

Ashish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen if you create a new file draw a simple shape and cut, or might this be happening only on a file you are working on.

If this happens on all files (the windows locations are similar, but I do not work on windows anymore as the platform has too many problems):

Reset Your Preferences.

Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-Shift when restarting AI on a Mac or Alt-Crtl-Shift on a PC to reset to the defaults.

More Thorough Reset Your Preferences.

Quit Illustrator

Finder >> Shift Command G

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 21 Settings/en_US*/Adobe Illustrator Prefs

rename Adobe Illustrator 21 to Adobe Illustrator 21 old

Reset Your Other Preferences

Quit Illustrator

Finder >> Shift Command G

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator 21/

rename Adobe Illustrator 21 to Adobe Illustrator 21 old

Press Win+R -> appdata -> Roaming -> Adobe -> rename folder Adobe Illustrator 20 (or 21) Settings to any other name.

This may also happens because of a font you have loaded or a non standard software from a clipboard enhancer to antivirus app. SO let us know some more about nothing you may have installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Thanks for writing back.

I have already tried all the options pertaining to the preferences deletion / auto-creating new preference file, etc.

As I work for a big brand, they have their own font. I have tried deleting the font and opening the illustrator, still the issue persists. So hopefully, its not a font issue as well.

I have also tried moving all the plugins in a different folder and tried adding them back one by one. that also didn't help.

There is no non-standard software as all are regulated by the company license managers.

There is nothing that I have installed on my own as even this laptop hardware is pretty new (I got it from company a week back). Dell Inspiron 5520.

So lemme know if you have any other idea about this. I will be happy to try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact customer care:

Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Customer Care portal is a gimmick, putting me in a circle of Forums and similar stuff, that I have already gone through, without giving clear contact details for me to reach and call out for help.

It will be much better if I receive a direct mail id or contact number.

thanks

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you logged into your account when using the page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

The Creative Cloud App runs behind and can be accessed through the icon in the taskbar on the right end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried quitting that and then run AI independently.

Still the CUT operation causes the AI to crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was referring tp being logged in to your account when using the "Customer Care" page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Yes, I am logged in through my company id, through which I have raised this same concern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might need someone to log into your computer to search for the issue. I have alerted staff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Let me know what the process is. I will have to take necessary permissions meanwhile.

thanks

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The staff person will decide what is necessary. Please have a little patience.

I don't know when they will contact you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How often does this happen and on all files even new ones?

Did this start immediately at a certain time or increase in occurrence. If this started after a certain date, do a system restore to before that date. Once you fix your problem create a manual restore point as windows likes this best, and a the auto ones often fail.

Check you recently installed apps, google anything suspicious or you do not recognize and follow instructors to remove.

Try creating a new user account to see if the problem exists.

There is a number of malware that for some reason causes only Illustrator  to act up. Does not matter if you work for a MNC or SE, but  have had success with this:

Malwarebytes | Free Cyber Security & Anti-Malware Software

As a last resort

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

then reinstall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

1. It started immediately after first 2-3 days of light usage.

2. It happens on all the files, irrespective of the size of the doc.

3. Not sure if I can do a system restore. This system itself is 7 days old and regulated by the IT department.

4. No recently installed apps. the only things I installed was keyshot (that I had in the old system as well where AI was running fine)

5. Creation of new user account cant happen as there is only one Company email id on which this license is registered

6. Not sure if I can download the malware remover tool but can try the CC Cleaner tool.

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iI Ashish,

Check your  control panel to see you recently installed apps. If you google something suspicious, then you can let your IT department know. Make sure any system enhancers are uninstalled from clipboard modifiers, to anti virus.  The app you mentioned is a standalone app, so that should be good.

Creating a new user account should not affect your Adobe install, as you would log into the adobe club using your credentials. This way we know if the problem is in your OS folder, or users folder, cut the locations to troubleshoot in half.

Since this is a new system, do a cleaner than reinstalling may be the best route, though on windows infections can happen very quickly.

You can also try an OOBE reset.

Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app doesn't open or shows a spinning progress wheel

I did not suggest earlier as that helps slow opening, saves, or adobe cloud spinning wheel. That you have a new install leads me to suggest the OOBE reset and is quite quick and often effective. Just make sure you quit the cloud so the cached database is cleared out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

There are no additional apps/software installed.

We even tried disabling the Antivirus and tried running AI. it still crashed when I tried to CUT an artwork using Ctrl + X.

We even tried not logging in the CC app and tried running AI. It still crashed. So its not linked with account.

We ran the Adobe CC cleaner, to no use. After reinstallation, it still crashed.

No sure what is OOBE Reset. but if it is the OS reset, I might have to ask my IT Admin again to do it.

thanks

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Link I posted describes the OOBE reset. But quit both Illustrator and the cloud app to do this properly, very important.

You want to always run the Adobe cloud with the app. Running without is what can corrupt the OOBE, and your other prefs.

Solution 5: Delete the contents of the OOBE folder and relaunch the Creative Cloud desktop app

• Quit the Creative Cloud desktop app from the gear icon in the upper-right corner.

• Browse to the following location based on your operating system.
    • Mac OS: /Users/<user folder>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE
    Note: The \Users\<user folder>\Library\ is hidden by default after 10.7. See Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 and later for instructions on accessing it.
    • Windows: C:\Users\<user folder>\AppData\Local\Adobe\OOBE
    Note: The AppData is hidden with Windows default settings. See Show hidden files, folders, filename extensions | Windows for instructions to show it.

• Delete the entire contents of the OOBE folder.

• Restart the computer and launch the Creative Cloud desktop app again.Note: The app can take slightly longer than usual to load with this solution, as content in the OOBE folder is rebuilt after launch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ashishh1986,

I've sent you a personal message, please check and respond so that we can proceed with further troubleshooting.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines