16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2008 12:38 PM by pixlor

Fading an inner shadow - how?

Schmoo2
      Hi,
      I have a simple rectangle with a solid grey color (#979797). I have added an inner shadow with the angle 225. So the shadow is at the top and the right side. I want to fade the shadow at the bottom, so at the very bottom it's only the grey color. The canvas color is also 979797. When I add a mask with a linear gradient the shadow does fade BUT the grey 979797 turns to a darker grey at the faded part. Why does it do that? How do I make this work? Would really appreciate your help.
        • 1. Re: Fading an inner shadow - how?
          Level 7
          Can you post a link to the image in question?

Peter

"Schmoo2" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g2qlmf$fak$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          | Hi,
          | I have a simple rectangle with a solid grey color (#979797). I have added
          an
          | inner shadow with the angle 225. So the shadow is at the top and the right
          | side. I want to fade the shadow at the bottom, so at the very bottom it's
          only
          | the grey color. The canvas color is also 979797. When I add a mask with a
          | linear gradient the shadow does fade BUT the grey 979797 turns to a darker
          grey
          | at the faded part. Why does it do that? How do I make this work? Would
          really
          | appreciate your help.
          |

• 2. Re: Fading an inner shadow - how?
            geeturs
            yes please link?
            • 4. Re: Fading an inner shadow - how?
              pixlor Level 4
              Your mask with a linear gradient doesn't fade the bottom the way you want because it's a gradient. Where it's over the bottom, it's a grey value. In order to mask the bottom off completely, the part of your mask for the bottom needs to be solid (I can never remember white or black, sorry). On the side you want it linear. You need to make a mask that has two parts: a rectangle of a solid color covering the bottom and a rectangle with a gradient in it for the right-hand side.

At least, if I understand what it is you're trying to do.
              • 5. Re: Fading an inner shadow - how?
                Schmoo2 Level 1
                I don't understand. When I add a mask it applies to the whole canvas. How do I add it to just part of it? I've selected a part of the mask and added the gradient to that but it doesn't come out nice at all. Isn't there a way to just fade the shadow?
                • 6. Re: Fading an inner shadow - how?
                  Level 7
                  Hi,

I'm sorry It's hard (for me) to understand exactly what you're trying to
                  create here. The image you supplied doesn't really help unfortunately.
                  Without a better idea of what you're trying to achieve It's hard to give you
                  help of any value.

Can you show us any examples of finished work that may give us a better idea
                  of what you'd like to do?

Peter
                  do I
                  | add it to just part of it? I've selected a part of the mask and added the
                  | gradient to that but it doesn't come out nice at all. Isn't there a way to
                  just
                  | fade the shadow?
                  |

• 7. Re: Fading an inner shadow - how?
                    Schmoo2 Level 1
                    Hmmm... yes I know it's not always easy trying to explain in text. The thing is that it shouldn't be hard to do (in my opinion ).

All I want (can't give you any finished work now) is a grey rectangle with an inner shadow, where the shadow fades at the bottom (i.e. the shadow doesn't go all the way to the bottom). Does it make any sense? Hope so, I really need your help.
                    • 8. Re: Fading an inner shadow - how?
                      eye4q Level 1
                      I'm still not clear as to what you are trying to achieve - perhaps you could point us towards an example of what you are trying to achieve somewhwere online that would make things clearer?

Van Leasing : Car Leasing
                      • 9. Re: Fading an inner shadow - how?
                        Schmoo2 Level 1
                        I have a png like this image; a grey background with an inner shadow. I want the shadow that goes towards the bottom of the image (at the right side) to fade. So that there is no shadow at all at the bottom, i.e. the dark grey shadow should fade so only the background light grey color is at the bottom.

Thanks för your help!
                        • 10. Re: Fading an inner shadow - how?
                          this link was of great help for me
                          webforumsuser@macromedia.com
                          thanks
                          • 11. Re: Fading an inner shadow - how?
                            pixlor Level 4
                            quote:

Originally posted by: Schmoo2
                            I have a png like this image; a grey background with an inner shadow. I want the shadow that goes towards the bottom of the image (at the right side) to fade. So that there is no shadow at all at the bottom, i.e. the dark grey shadow should fade so only the background light grey color is at the bottom.

Thanks för your help!

Do you mean something like this: http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x123/pixlor/Fireworks/fade.png?

If yes, then this is what I did:
                            - I started with a transparent canvas, just so I could see what I was doing.
                            - I made a rectangle, filled it with your grey (#979797).
                            - I selected Commands > Creative > Fade Image and selected the vertical linear gradient that's in the upper right (at least in CS3)

At this point, I could see that the rectangle was fading towards the bottom, because I could see the checkerboard of the transparent canvas showing through. Next,
                            - I changed the color of the canvas to your grey, so that the fading rectangle fades into this color.

(Just so you know...I never used the Fade Image option before this week. I learn so much from this forum! )
                            • 12. Re: Fading an inner shadow - how?
                              the sugesstion on using the link proved very helpfull for me.i would like to request for such links
                              • 13. Re: Fading an inner shadow - how?
                                Schmoo2 Level 1
                                quote:

Originally posted by: DizzDizzy
                                this link was of great help for me webforumsuser@macromedia.com
                                thanks

This is the form of an emailadress. Is that what you meant?

quote:

Originally posted by: pixlor
                                Do you mean something like this: http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x123/pixlor/Fireworks/fade.png?

That is sort of what I want, BUT you get the problem that I also get; the grey color is supposed to be solid grey 979797 all over except for where the shadow is but it is not. If you check the grey color with the Eyedropper tool it shows that the grey is darker in the middle (where the shadow fades).

I can't get it to work with a solid (same) grey color.
                                • 14. Re: Fading an inner shadow - how?
                                  pixlor Level 4
                                  quote:

Originally posted by: Schmoo2
                                  That is sort of what I want, BUT you get the problem that I also get; the grey color is supposed to be solid grey 979797 all over except for where the shadow is but it is not. If you check the grey color with the Eyedropper tool it shows that the grey is darker in the middle (where the shadow fades).

I can't get it to work with a solid (same) grey color.

Ah, so I do! Dagnabit!

Okay...what about this version?
                                  - Make a WHITE rectangle, apply the inner shadow, apply the linear fade.
                                  - Above that, put a grey rectangle, and set the blending mode to Multiply. (Blending mode is the drop-down box next to the opacity box.)

I think I got it that time!
                                  • 15. Re: Fading an inner shadow - how?
                                    Schmoo2 Level 1
                                    I posted the question in another forum also and got an answer that worked for me: see the last posted by Jeremy http://www.fireworksguruforum.com/index.php?showtopic=12574 .

Thanks for all your input.

Sorry Pixlor - I haven't tried your version since I got it to work.
                                    • 16. Re: Fading an inner shadow - how?
                                      pixlor Level 4
                                      That's fine, Schmoo! As long as you have an answer that works and makes sense to you, that's the important thing.