Exit

How to find new positions for divided circle to create 80px gaps

Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I divided the circle below using the following steps:

1. made a perfect circle

2. created two lines at 75 and 105° rotation

3. used the pathfinder divide tool to separate the circle.

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 12.20.19 PM.png

I want to know (how to calculate) the positions I would have to move each part of the circle to create an 80px gap. I would like to move each of them by an equal distance to create the 80px gap, as in the image. How can I find the new positions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would create a helper object: a rectangle that has a width of 80 px. Align it at the top and then align the rightmost part with it.

Repeat for the left side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm understanding your question correctly:

After dividing up your circle into parts, select one of the parts you wish to move with the Selection tool. Then double-click on the Selection tool and enter your distance and angle in the Move dialog window and press OK.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clepperiousity,

You may:

1) Select the two lines at 75 and 105° rotation, then move a copy 309.096px down,

2) In the Transform palette set the lower central Reference Point and set a sufficient W or H value and Ctrl/CmdEnter to keep proportions,

3) Cut the new lines where they cross the circle, then apply Dashes.

309.096px = 80px/sin(15°)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you arrive at sin(15°), especially 15°?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

clepperiousity,

105° and 75° are 15° on either side of vertical (90°). The rest is triginometry. You can do it in the same way for any (other) angle.

I would use the downward move as in post #3 because it is just one. It should be with a - of course, unless you have something older than CS5 or unreversed the Y axis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know the distance and angles you want the lower pieces to move, so you can do this without much math.

In Illustrator's prefs (Command-K), set the cursor key distance to 80 px and set the constrain angle to 195 degrees (105 + 90). Select the left-hand piece and press the right-arrow key once to move it. Then change the constrain angle to -15 degrees and do the same for the right-hand piece.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clepperiousity,

Or you may move each line out by 82.822px (two moves + and -) instead of 1) in my post #3.

82.822px = 80px/cos(15°)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines