• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MP4 Import without audio (Alternate Fix?)

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated, the MP4 file that I want to import into Premiere is importing with no audio. I immediately realized this was a cache issue, and deleted all the cache manually from my MacBook Pro: it still doesn't work.

Is there an alternate way of importing a file of that size (2hrs 25mins or 1.44gb/720p @ 29.9 fps) that might help? I.e: import only audio/video?

I have the latest 2017 Update for Premiere, if that helps.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should've also mentioned in this post, that the video imports with only about 1hr 40 mins of video...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi VideoMans1523,

I am sorry that you are facing trouble importing your MP4s in Premiere Pro.

Are you importing your media files from the Media Browser?

Importing media files into Premiere Pro

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've tried importing from the Media Browser, but had the same results. And this is not camera footage, it's actually a recorded livestream. I'm thinking I may have to find a way to chop the video up into smaller pieces so it can import properly, but I would need to find a way of doing that if that is the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi VideoMans1523,

Screen recordings and livestream videos often use Variable Frame Rate recording, which is not ideal for use in Premiere.

I have seen similar issues before and you need to transcode your footage to a constant frame rate using the free HandBrake software before importing and editing in Premiere.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kulpreet,

I am having a similar issue and cannot import an mp4 file with audio intact.

When I play the file back in VLC, no problems. When I import into Premiere 2017, I don't get any error messages but the file appears in my bin without any audio. I also noticed that the "media pending" screen seems to appear longer for this file than with others that I have imported previously. It's an H264, 1920x1080 mp4 file and I don't understand why this particular one is not importing with audio while other files of the same format have imported without problems.

I tried clearing my media cache, changing the file name, and importing through the media browser. I also tried converting with HandBrake, which actually resulted in the video importing WITH audio! However, HandBrake will only transcode the first half of the file for me and I cannot seem to change these parameters.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas I can try, this is very frustrating.

Thanks,

Nathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check what audio codec is being used? Open the file in VLC, Open the Media Info by pressing CMD(Ctrl)+i, and report back what the audio codec is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The audio codec is MPEG AAC Audio mp4a. That along with H264 MPEG-4 AVC video codec. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Premiere is the file shown as having an audio track? Right click the file in your Bin - Properties.

How big is the file? It could be the audio is still conforming. Do you see any status messages in the lower right corner stating the file is still conforming?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What camera was used to create the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may indeed be a cache issue. Can you try the following?

Rename the MP4 file and try to reimport.

Drag the clip directly into Media Encoder and see if shows the full duration there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Hi VideoMans1523,

Did you transcode the footage in Handbrake as Kulpreet suggested? If not, please do so and return with the results.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines