5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2017 5:04 AM by Trevor.Dennis

Does camera raw filter actually use raw data?

cutch2222 Level 1

I was under the impression that once you brought a raw file into into photoshop, it was converted to pixels (hence the necessity of using camera raw to open in photoshop).

But if I bring a raw file into photoshop, does using the camera raw filter allow me to access the original raw data? or does it just allow me to use those nifty tools on what has been converted to pixels?

• 1. Re: Does camera raw filter actually use raw data?
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

cutch2222  wrote

I was under the impression that once you brought a raw file into into photoshop, it was converted to pixels (hence the necessity of using camera raw to open in photoshop).

I see that files rendered from raw files are sometimes referred to as "pixel" files.

This is misleading, since raw files are indeed made of pixels. I prefer to call these files rendered files.

But if I bring a raw file into photoshop, does using the camera raw filter allow me to access the original raw data? or does it just allow me to use those nifty tools on what has been converted to pixels?

Once the raw file (or more precisely, a rendered copy of the file with raw adjustments applied) has been opened in Photoshop, it is no longer a raw file. So the Camera Raw filter can not access the raw data.

The Camera Raw filter was designed to be able to use the camera raw interface with non-raw files, like Tiff, PSD, Jpg, etc.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Does camera raw filter actually use raw data?
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

That's a good post Per.  I'll just add that you do have the option of opening the RAW file as an Object into Photoshop, in which case you can double click the background layer to reopen it in Camera RAW, and still be working with the RAW data. 

Someone might be able to help me on this.  It always used to be that I had to Shift click on Open to make it change to Open Object but that has changed now, and I need to hold down the Shift key to 'prevent' it opening as a Smart Object.  I'm thinking that either I have changed a Preference setting, or the default behavour has changed, but I don't remember seeing anything about the latter.

• 3. Re: Does camera raw filter actually use raw data?
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

You did not change a preference you check an option in your Workflow Option ACR uses.

Capture.jpg

• 4. Re: Does camera raw filter actually use raw data?
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

When used as a smart Filter (On a Smart Object Layer) you work on the same Layer pixels the same image whenever you adjust the filter.   If the Smart Object Layer's Object is a RAW File you can double click the layer smart Object in the layers palette to open the object (the RAW File in ACR) and work on the raw data instead of using ACR as a filter the object will be updated.  If the layer is not a smart object layers  ACR filter would change the layer pixels ever time you use ACR as a filter on the layer so each time you use ACR filter on a normal pixel layer you would be adjusting a different image. 

• 5. Re: Does camera raw filter actually use raw data?
                  Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Thanks JJ.  I'll turn that off then because I'd rather it defaulted to open as a full raster layer so I can save as JPG without having to use the drop-down to change it from .psd