4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2008 12:56 PM by fermp

Help loading large (huge) XML files

fermp Level 1
      Hi all,

I have a new project I will be working on shortly that will involve loading a 70,000KB XML document. I am pretty sure there is no way I want to load the whole thing before the user can start using the data. Does anybody know what I would have to do to work with this large of a file in Flash? Any suggestions on books or websites that might offer a solution would be great. I am not expecting full documentation and/or code just a point in the right direction on how to get this done.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Help loading large (huge) XML files
          Rothrock Level 5
          Really pretty pointless at this point. What kind of data? What are you doing with the data? What is the user doing with the data?

Most likely some kind of database and a back end would be more usefull, but really can't say without more information.
          • 2. Help loading large (huge) XML files
            fermp Level 1
            Basically, what I'm looking for is not a solution but if anybody here has worked on an XML file that large? Loading and working with a small XML file is pretty simple. You load the whole thing then use the data. But I'm guessing I can't load this whole file. Right? So how do we go about working with a file this large, whatever the data it shouldn't matter. Should it? I don't have the option to work from a database. I'm just getting a file.

So is there a way to get at bits of the xml file without loading the whole thing?
            • 3. Re: Help loading large (huge) XML files
              Rothrock Level 5
              As far as I know you will need some kind of server at the other end that will chunk it up. I don't think flash has the ability to load just part of what is esentially a text file.

I would be interested if anybody else has ideas?

BTW, when you edit a post people who use newsreaders won't see the changes. And some of the smartest folks here use readers. It is always a better idea to just add a new reply.
              • 4. Re: Help loading large (huge) XML files
                fermp Level 1
                Thanks Rothrock. Thats pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I just wasn't sure if I could get at "parts" of the xml file from Flash. I'm thinking I'll write a script to cut up the large file into smaller files or chuck it in a database or something. This way I can access the smaller data files from Flash.

Thanks for the tip on the Newsgroups.