4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2009 7:34 PM by Newsgroup_User

Database Link on Flex

chandu2406
      Hi All,

I am a newbie to Flex.Can you please help me out with the procedure as how I can to provide a link on flex front end screen which when clicked opens either pdf's,ppt's,word docs from database.All these documents are stored in the oracle database. I am using Flex builder 2 and flex data services also.I am integrating the flex with spring and hibernate also.

Thanks in Advance
      Chandu
        • 1. Re: Database Link on Flex
          rtalton Level 4
          You can set up an <a> anchor tag using the htmlText property of a Text object. When the user clicks a link, a new browser window can then be opened with the document in it.
          • 2. Re: Database Link on Flex
            chandu2406 Level 1
            Hi rtalton,

Thank you very much for your quick response.But can you please tell me how can I connect(Flex to Java connection) to the document in the oracle database with the link.All the documents are stored in database.So for example if a user clicks on a link on flex frontend screen it needs to open a pdf file whihc is stored in database.
            So can you please post me the connection details as how flex calls java and inturn java calls backend to get the document from database.I am using flex,Spring and hibernate frameworks for the application..

Thanks in Advance
            Chandu
            • 3. Re: Database Link on Flex
              ntsiii Level 3
              The only way you will be able to do this reasonably is to have the server generate the documents into some location, and then display them in a browser with the required mime-types etc.

That is way beyond what anyone will be able to give you any details for.

It is doable, but will take you several weeks of work.

Tracy
              • 4. Re: Database Link on Flex
                Level 7

"ntsiii" <tspratt@lariatinc.com> wrote in message
                news:gjui7q$hef$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > The only way you will be able to do this reasonably is to have the server
                > generate the documents into some location, and then display them in a
                > browser
                > with the required mime-types etc.
                >
                > That is way beyond what anyone will be able to give you any details for.
                >
                > It is doable, but will take you several weeks of work.

I think that the appropriate back-end technology should be able to serve
                them up without creating a separate document.