• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Web page help fast.

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years ago I created a website for a customer.  He called me a few days ago and wants me to change a few things on his site.

I do not have his web site.

Is it possible for me to make changes?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

As Nancy stated, ideally, if you can have him give you the FTP info, you should be able to log right in. If he's not comfortable (re: tech savvy) enough to locate it himself, hopefully he's got a reputable hosting service that can assist you; you might want to arrange a 3-way call to be on the safe side and make sure you both have all the info you need to successfully reconnect.

However, if your situation is like a few I've had over the years, you might need build from scratch. I've found it easi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have his FTP log-in credentials, you can download the site files from his server to a local site folder on your hard drive.   When done with changes, you will want to replace the old files on his server with your new ones.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Nancy stated, ideally, if you can have him give you the FTP info, you should be able to log right in. If he's not comfortable (re: tech savvy) enough to locate it himself, hopefully he's got a reputable hosting service that can assist you; you might want to arrange a 3-way call to be on the safe side and make sure you both have all the info you need to successfully reconnect.

However, if your situation is like a few I've had over the years, you might need build from scratch. I've found it easier to download assets (text and images) from lower-end sites and used it as an opportunity to revamp/re-build from the ground up for a more up-to-date result, especially regarding responsiveness and accessibility. (In 2 cases, stubborn/"MIA" developers who created sites for these clients wouldn't release the domains and they had to start with new URLs anyway.)

Hope this helps!
Make sure to press "✔ Correct Answer" on this post if this answers your question. Happy Creating!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He gave me his GoDaddy account information.  Could you help me out by telling me what to put where.  It has been a while since I last did this.

Elizabeth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See the following Screenshots  from CC 2017.

Go to Site > New Site >  choose or create a folder on your hard drive (example:  C:\MyTestSite\)

CC-localsite.jpg

Under Servers Tab, enter FTP log-in details and the server's root directory.  Most GoDaddy Linux hosting plans use public_html as the root.  If unsure, check with GoDaddy.

CC-RootFolder.jpg

Hit the TEST button to verify connection.  If everything works, Save settings.

It might be a good idea to export the site definition settings to an STE file for safekeeping.  I do this for all newly defined sites just in case I ever need it again.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines