• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tone settings (PLEASE HELP)

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I found a preset that I love and it's amazing, but the only problem is that every time I use it my tone settings change and I can no longer edit the blacks and white highlights and shadows instead it changes to exposure, recovery fill light, and blacks.

I love that I can use these settings but I also would like to use the other setting as well, is there a way to have both? and if not how to I switch back and forth from the two?

this is the tone settings with the preset

with.png

and this is the tone settings with out

without.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

The preset must be setting the process version to 2010 (the current process version is 2012).  You can double-check this by looking in the Camera Calibration panel:

You can try changing the process version to 2012 and then saving a new preset, but chances are it won't have the same exact looks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preset must be setting the process version to 2010 (the current process version is 2012).  You can double-check this by looking in the Camera Calibration panel:

You can try changing the process version to 2012 and then saving a new preset, but chances are it won't have the same exact looks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen-clips indicate that the Preset was designed in an earlier "Process" version of Lightroom (2010 or 2003)

This is indicated by the 'Lightning Bolt' symbol below the histogram.

ScreenShot174.jpg

You may be able to update the Preset by applying it to a photo that has not had development work done, change the Process version to 2012, then Update the Preset to the current settings. (or save a 'new' version)

ScreenShot175.jpg

Edit: And John E  just pipped me at the post.  I need to type faster.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to clarify, in the course of updating this preset it will firstly be necessary to check that the adjustments it is applying are not specific to whatever older Process Version it is imposing. If they are, and you want to use the current PV for other reasons, then equivalent looking adjustments will need to be achieved using the controls offered by the current PV, and built into a fresh preset (to the same purpose).

For example: if this preset got its visual effect by setting 20 "Fill Light" then only a photo set to an older process version where "Fill Light" still had a recognised meaning, would show those visual results that the OP likes. Keeping those results would involve NOT adopting the latest process version; and hence foregoing the option of using PV 2012's own particular adjustments with that photo.

OR this preset may just be imposing an older PV by default, as an irrelevant and unwanted side-effect - since adjustments from outside of the Basic panel, will tend to apply equally well regardless of the PV.

When a Develop preset is made or updated, a dialog opens where the selectivity of the adjustments is controlled - is this preset just to override the prior sharpening of the image with new values? Just change the color adjustments and tone curve? What does it DO...

At the top of this dialog is a checkbox, as to whether the Process Version should be also overridden to match whatever "template" image has been used to build this preset.

If this checkbox is emptied, then whatever else it does, the resulting preset will NOT override the PV of photos it is applied to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Richard- Clarification well accepted and relevant.

Having the OP identify the reason for the change of sliders is the first step.

Since the change to the process version in 2012 we often forget the effect it can have on our photo edits.

A google search for "Lightroom Process Version" reveals some good information for the OP.

eg. https://photographylife.com/lightroom-process-version

Understanding Lightroom Process Versions

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

that fixed it! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines