• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How To Display Acrobat Portfolio File Count in DC?

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat XI, when I created a Portfolio from an Outlook folder using PDF Maker, it displayed the number of files contained within the Portfolio, so I could match this to the number displayed in Outlook to confirm all emails were included.  However, since upgrading to Acrobat 2017.009.20044, I cannot find any means of displaying the number of files that the Portfolio contains.  When there are hundreds of files, it is not reasonable to count them manually.  Would someone PLEASE provide the setting I'm missing that will provide this vital piece of information?  Thank you very much for your help!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Open your portfolio and then click Ctrl+J. Paste this code into the console window, select it, and then press Ctrl+Enter:

app.alert("This portfolio has " + this.dataObjects.length + " files attached to it.",3);

If you want it's also possible to attach the code to a menu item, so you can execute it with a single click.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open your portfolio and then click Ctrl+J. Paste this code into the console window, select it, and then press Ctrl+Enter:

app.alert("This portfolio has " + this.dataObjects.length + " files attached to it.",3);

If you want it's also possible to attach the code to a menu item, so you can execute it with a single click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try67, I've tried your suggestion, but the code isn't working for me. I get an error message that the object is null. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to make sure you run the code when only the portfolio is open, not any file in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if the code doesnt work, it means that, just one of the file may have been selected as default, so the query is not running on the whole portfolio. You can go to View>Portfolio and select coversheet, once you do this you will get a cover sheet for your portfolio, then you can use the code given by try67 i.e

"click Ctrl+J. Paste this code into the console window, select it, and then press Ctrl+Enter:

app.alert("This portfolio has " + this.dataObjects.length + " files attached to it.",3); in the console." This worked for me. you can get rid of the cover sheet if you want now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I finally got this to work, and thank you! But OMG, all this just to find out the number of files in a portfolio!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me. Thanks a bunch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to DC. Am I missing something because I do not see a code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who created PDF Portfolio files in a computer (Mac/PC) resident software such as Adobe Acrobat Pro (latest version was XI), since Adobe killed Flash and the PDF Portfolio files created require flash, when you try and open them you get a message telling you to downloade the latest version of flash.  Upon following the directed links, you eventually end at a place where it tells you that flash no longer exists.  Then, with some further investigation, you'll learn that Adobe Acrobat DC (online software with a monthly fee) will handle PDF Portfolio creation.  THE ONLY PROBLEM is that Adobe Acrobat DC will not open existing files.  More accurately, it will OPEN the PDF Portfolio file but all of the individiual files and folders will not be present.  You are out of luck in opening/editing these PDF Portfolio files UNLESS you have access to them online; as with Microsoft OneDrive.  If you rightlick on the file name in explorer/finder, choose the "View Online" option and it will open the PDF Portfolio in your associated online cloud storage.  You can download each file component as contained in your Portfolio and re-combine the indidual files/folders using Adobe Acrobat DC Pro.  If you do not have an online cloud like iCloud, OneDrive, etc., it appears your historical files within these PDF Portfolios (created in desktop software versions of Adobe Acrobat) may be lost.  If someone knows a workaround other than above, please share.    NOTE TO ADOBE:  You could do A LOT BETTER job of treating your customers with great customer service by (a) notifying them in advance of these implications; and (b) providing them with CLEAR solutions so they don't have to spend enormous amounts of time sleuthing out their own solution.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines